Chapter 1: Lotus

*Author's Note*

Hey, this is Story Boards!

This is the first book I'm posting to Wattpad. Hopefully you enjoy my story, as I enjoyed writing it

~~~~~~~~

I sat in the subway station, waiting. It was about 9:30 pm and I had just got off working over time. But I wasn't one to complain, I had asked for it after all. I could have been out drinking with a few of my coworkers, it was a Friday night. But I rather trade a bottle of tequila for being sober evening any day.

It was actually kinda funny. Mostly everyone was stunned that I didn't turn to drinking, seeing how in the past four months, I found out that my now ex-girlfriend had been cheating on me with my next door neighbor and was now pregnant with his child. I had also mugged... twice and, my car had been stolen. I know, life just hasn't been the greatest lately but I get by, somehow. I glanced around the subway station, for a Friday night, it was pretty empty. Other than the occasional homeless person, the only other individual that seemed to be waiting for the 9:45 pm train, was an older lady. I guess even the city that never sleeps gets tired eventually.

After some time, I could hear the train starting to approach. I grabbed my bag and threw it onto my shoulder. The train ride was always long, seeing how my stop was one of the last. I stepped onto the platform as the train eased to a stop. The older lady and I boarded the empty subway car. Actually, it was about near empty, except for one other... Wow. Sitting near the front of the car was this... woman. I mean women ride the train all the time, but... There was something about her, something very different. I couldn't really put my finger on it.

I walked over and sat across from her. She didn't look up at all, as she sat legs crossed, focused on her phone. Her long black hair framed her face, curling down over her shoulders. The train finally departed, rumbling through the tunnels, as I continued glancing over at her, trying to build up the courage to say something. Slipping her phone into her skinny jeans pocket, she brushed her hair out of her face and looked up at me.

Her bright amber eyes met mine and she began curiously looking me over, I wasn't sure what to do, so I decided this was my chance to say something.

"Hey," I uttered, sadly it was the only thing that came to mind. A confused expression came over her face as if she had never heard language before. She began looking around as if trying to find the person I was taking too.

Oh gosh! Please don't tell me I offered her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you." I said, embarrassed.

With a shocked and confused look, she pointed to herself. "Are you talking to me?" She said in a whisper.

"Yeah, but I didn't mean to bother you. I'm really sorry." I turned my body, facing away from her.

She quickly moved from where she was sitting and sat next to me. She waved her hand in front of my face. "Wait... You can see me?!?"

What!? What did she just say? I moved back slightly, trying to understand if what I heard was correct.

She scooted closer to me. "You can see me!" It became quiet for a moment. "How are you able to see me?" She began to poke my face as if I wasn't real.

Completely confused, I just sat there not sure what to do. It was either because this cute stranger, was sitting so close and prodding my face, or because seemed a few beans short a Cappuccino.

"What do you mean, 'see you'?" I grabbed her hand, stopping her pokes.

She sat back, sulking into her seat, her face gave off a sad expression. "Is just that people can't see me... Because I-I'm..." She stopped mid-sentence, tilting her head down and allowing her hair to shadow her face.