The Society of the Key

What the hell is The Society of the Key?

I sat, shocked, in my crouched position behind the sign in-desk. Is this some kind of prank? The Society of the Key is probably a club or a private party. Debating whether or not to get up from my current position, which was very uncomfortable, Mason and Ms. Kathy continued talking.

"And why are you so sure that her presence here has something to do with those, those imbeciles, Mr. White?" Ms. Kathy was still wearing her white t-shirt, black sweater, and bright green pencil skirt that she wore to school everyday, minus the grey slip-ons. I was very surprised that she decided to hear Mason out about whatever this crap was.

Mason proceeded to place his hands on the desk and lean forward. "Oh stop the act, Janet, we're not taking about how I need to up my grades before the end of the school year, or any other crap like that. This is serious and you know it." He glared at her with the ferocity of a tiger, keeping his stance until Ms. Kathy, Janet, looked somewhat intimidated by his aggressiveness.

When he backed off the desk and sat back with his hands clasped in his lap, she continued the conversation.

"Again, what makes you think Miss Katherine has anything to do with the society?" She said with a calmness to her voice, considering she had almost been threatened.

"If you were paying attention to your email you would have -"

"Mason, if you hadn't noticed I've been very preoccupied with dealing with your girlfriend issues," she drawled.

"First, I don't even know her. Second, she just got expelled for starting a fight." He looked smug with his comments.

"May I ask, what does her expulsion have to do with any society matters?" She asked, tossing her jacket to the back of the room.

Mason, completely appalled that she didn't know what he was talking about, stood up, slammed his palms on the desk, and whispered, "They've started reappearing, the keys. But you already know that, don't you. See the problem is, that we don't know what they unlock. I have a feeling that she does."

Janet's expression peaked interest as he continued explaining.

"Last week, she found a key, the ninth key, inside the school trophy case. Any other normal person would have left it there, or wouldn't even have noticed it at all. Not her. She picked it up and went straight to her locker."

Still in my crouched position, I tried to come up with an explanation as to why I picked up that key. I felt something. Like it was calling to me. Is that weird? Yes that's weird. This is why people call you the sociopath. And what is the ninth key? What does any of this have to do with me? Maybe these people are the sociopaths.

Giving up on trying to stay hidden any further, I stood up and walked out from behind the desk. "What the actual hell is this?"