What Happens Inside A Storage Closet, Stays Inside a Storage Closet

Mason glided down the hallway with the elegance of a dancer. I stumbled along and tripped over my own shoelaces maybe 50 times. My parents were supposed to get me new combat boots for my birthday, but seeing as we didn't really have enough money for anything other than food right now, I had to stick with my raggedy brown pair.

He reached the entrance to the main office in about half the time it took me to stumble down the hallway.

"I thought girls flew or something." He smirked and continued inside the office.

"Let me know when you ever see a girl flying down a school hallway and I'll give you an award."

The office wasn't actually an office. Although it used to be a janitor's closet, it was half the size of the girls bathroom, and smelled like cupcakes from time to time.

I stumbled through the peeling "white" door and into the small space. You could say that the color of the office was white, but you would be fooling yourself.

"And why do you have Miss Katherine's school supplies, Mr. White?" The office administrator, Ms. Kathy glared at him with an expression of pure annoyance. It filled me with a tang of satisfaction that Mr. Prettyboy here couldn't catch the favor of every teacher.

"It's an emergency," he said with a serious tone in his voice.

"Does it have to do with the prophecy?" She asked, leaning closer with every breath.

Before he spoke another word, he looked around the room, searching for any possible eavesdroppers. I hid behind the sign-in desk that was conveniently right near the door.  "It has to do with more than just the prophecy," he said, "It has to do with the Society of the Key."