Chances Part 1

LAURELLE SPEAKS:

I ran and ran and ran holding on to L'Dean as forceful to me as I could, she cried but the sound of my footsteps hard on the wet damp floor distorted all other sounds out, except the thud of my heart beating inside my head, inside my ears and all over my entire body.

I hid behind a high brick wall trying to remain unnoticed it the shadows of the night.

I was still scared, trying to be as silent so possible but it wasn't so easy with L'Dean making little murmurs and crying noises every second.

I heard footsteps growing nearer, I thought that was it, I held my breath, eyes closed, one hand over L'Dean mouth stopping any noise from pouring out.

'Little girl,' the man shouted 'If you don't come out and give me the drugs back I'm going to have to call the police'

He didn't know were I was hiding but he was practically on the other side of the wall, still kept my mouth shut with one hand over L'Dean's; I could tell she just wanted to burst out crying and the moment I heard the mans footsteps lingering away from us I took my hand away from her mouth taking in a deep breath full of relief and she began bellowing with tears.

'Shh El, Shh,' I said cradling her in my arms 'Don't worry we'll go home now'

I put her pink bobble hat on properly so that it covered her ears and wrapped her scarf round her neck then stuffed it into her pink woolly jacket I had bought for her yesterday.

Still L'Dean continued to cry, I rocked her in my arm still standing in the same place with my back against the wall.

And then I jumped as I saw a boy come round the corner, he was black but light skinned with short hair black hair, his eyes shone in the darkness of the alleyway as he looked at me.

He was wearing a white top and grey or black combats which was hard to make out in the dark; both of his ears held a silver small stud, with a heavy chain to match. The guy still stood there looking at me then L'Dean and back again.

'Can I help you' I said rudely holding L'Dean who was still crying her eyes out

'Um, you ok yeah...?' he asked

'Yeah... why'

'Nah just asking inni'

We both stood there, him looking at me, me glancing down at L'Dean and L'Dean widening her eyes open to look at the boy.

'How old are you?' he asked stepping closer to me

'16'

'O Same'

'Why you here for?'

I looked at him up and down before he answered me,

'I saw that security guard chasing you and I saw you hide here,' he said 'I just wanted to make sure you was ok init'

'Oh, well I'm fine'

I clutched L'Dean closer to my waist and walked past the boy, 'Bye then' I said

'What u goin yrd yeh?' he asked

I turned around looking straight at him, his eye's glistening

'What the fuck is it to you'

He started laughin; arr he was so fuckin piff man

'Its late man, lemme take you home' he sed this time walking closer to me

I thought about it quickly in my head, it was ten o'clock at night and I didn't feel safe walking home by myself, especially with L'Dean. The boy was still staring at me, waiting for an answer, but I hardly knew him, I didn't know him at all, I had just met him five minutes ago, but I guess him taking me home wasn't anything really, he would simply drop me too my road and I would never see him again.