[#9] What a Word Can Change

The dawn light filtered through in the window. Both men got up and stretched knowing that Elspeth would soon come in and take over. As they glanced towards each other, their aunt did indeed come bustling in. She carried linens in one hand and a bowl of broth in the other. After setting them down, she looked straight at the boys, hands on her hips.

"I am going to warn you now, boys, Douggal is expecting you to go to him directly and explain the situation. Then, he will probably start a long speech about all that could possibly go wrong. You better steel yourselves before going in."

Ian looked at his brother and both nodded to each other. If they were to do this, it would be now, while they were prepared.

"Thank you, Aunt," Ian expressed.

"Be careful, the both of you," Elspeth replied.

Ian and Nigel left the room and the lass in their aunt's care. Weaving through the hallways, they worked their way to their Father's study. With a supportive glance to his brother, Ian knocked on the door. A gruff voiced came through the door.

"Enter!"

The two men entered the room, closing the door behind them.

"Sit. Speak."

Looking at them straight in the eyes, Douggal waited for them to explain the situation revolving around the "lad". Nigel, being the one who spent the most time with the newcomer started to speak.

"Well, the lad, Lleyton, had a large jagged cut in his leg, tearing through his muscles with shards of glass stuck in it. In the end, I needed to do an impromptu operation. If the lad is lucky and no infections or fevers set in, then he should be able to keep his leg and his life. "

"And how much medicine and supplies would that cost us?! Honestly, why must you feel bound to help all those around you, son? I understand, you are concerned about this lad. He is obviously starved and wounded, but that doesn't mean he can't be dangerous. Do you not remember what happened the last time?"

"Of course I..." Douggal cut him off. He didn't even glance at Ian.

"The stranger. . . "

"Father," Ian cut in, "We all remember what happened. You do not need to remind us each time."

Douggal scowled at his eldest before addressing Nigel once more, " Perhaps you should draw the line so that you do not confuse your supposed need to help everyone and the actual need to protect our clan. "

Ian spoke up, " There is always a need to help others, Father, and in doing so we may be protecting our clan even more. We cannot simply bar ourselves from the world because of ONE tragedy and a story that you heard about a McAllistar lass taking our home! It isn't logical and I have had enough of living like it is! Father, you must notice what is happening because of your choices! "

" Because of my choices! No, no. It's the lady McAllistar that is behind all this. And it is no story that the witch told me! It is a prophesy that will come true and I will protect my clan and the family that I love with all the power I have. You are only boys who choose to remain blind to all that I do for you. Do you understand me, Ian!? Will you be influenced by your ignorant, blind brother and fight against me?! "

Douggal stared at his first born son as the question burned through Ian. All Ian had ever been taught was to obey his father and all he had ever seen through his life was his father's true love for his kin. He loved his father dearly and did not wish to ruin that. However, as he looked at his father, he saw that Douggal's true character was slowly dying away. So, to save his father and his clan, Ian took his torn decision.

" Yes. "

***********

Douggal stormed through halls as he thought of his son's answer. Yes, he said. Why couldn't he just understand that closing our doors to the world is what is best. Why must he be stubborn and learn things the hard way?

Douggal didn't know what to do. Though he didn't want his son to be put through the pain of responsibility yet, he knew it might be the only way to teach Ian to understand that keeping their beloved clan safe from the McAllisters means barring themselves from the world. With a decision made, he headed to where he knew his son would be, the lad's sickbed. 

As he stepped through the door, he received heated scowls from two of his sons and his sister. " I have decided that if you think you know what is best, then I will leave the clan as well as the lad in your care. You have three months. I shall be at my cabin when you think you have had enough and you know that I have been right. "

With one last glanced around the room, Douggal left, but he couldn't help his eyes linger on the straggly lad lying on the bed. I am sorry, lad, but I must do what is best for my people.

*******************************************

Ian couldn't help but stare at his father's retreating back after his few spoken words. So many meanings came through what his father had said and Ian felt even more torn and determined to do what he could. Three months. I have three months to get some things sorted out. How am I to start?

***********************************

Hello all! 

So, sorry about the wait. I know chapter nine is short and I shall try to write more, but I lost a bit of inspiration. Visolix is busy with his new school and is taking a break from writing, so if the story is not as descriptive as before, please excuse me. I will endeavour to do my best, but I can't promise when anything will come out. 

Enjoy whatever other reading you have!!

Annnoe :)