Prologue: Mercy

I sat back, sinking into the couch with my eyes glued to the TV. My right hand was gripping the remote controller and my left, buried in a bowl of chips.

It was a sweltering hot summer day in Seoul, South Korea, and the humidity was still a foreign feeling to me even though I had moved from the dry California deserts four years ago.

My twenty-one-year-old self was mindlessly stuffing my face with chips while watching the latest episode of "Vampire Detective", waiting for my mom to come home with more groceries to fuel my binge-eating-&-watching session.

Suddenly, my show was interrupted by an emergency broadcast:

INFECTION OUTBREAK
LOCATIONS: SOUTH KOREA, RUSSIA, USA, UK, AND SOUTH AFRICA
DO NOT APPROACH THE INFECTED. IF BITTEN OR SCRATCHED, PLEASE ALERT THE NEAREST AUTHORITIES.
SEEK SHELTER.

The TV started to broadcast the emergency radio, but all I could hear were muffled voices, screams, gunshots, then static.

"Bitten? Are there rabid animals loose?" I asked myself. My eyes widened in realization, "Oh no, don't tell me-"

As if on cue, my mom burst in through the back door, clutching her neck which was now bleeding profusely. She collapsed onto the floor, stammering in an incomprehensible way.

"D-Dabin-ah."

"Sh-shhhhh." I cut her off as I was starting to sob, trying to add pressure to the wound.

"You can save the world." she choked out before going limp in my arms.

"Save the world? Mom? Mom! What do you mean?" I screamed, the sobs racking my whole body.

I sat crumpled on the floor next to her body for a few minutes until suddenly, I felt her jolt awake.

"Mom?" I asked, hope rolling off that one word. The color drained from my face when I heard a animalistic growl come from the back of her throat. Her eyes were milky and void of life.

She lunged for me, just barely missing my neck. I let out a yelp as I scrambled away on my hands and feet and made a mad dash for the garage, looking for something, anything that could help me.

"Nonononono. This can't be happening." I muttered under my breath, still searching, "This only happens in sci-fi movies and video games." I stammered out frantically.

Finally, I spotted a bundle of rope and immediately grabbed it. Tugging it to test its strength, I started to walk to the door leading back into the house.

Pressing my ear against the door, I listened to check that she was not too close by. Her soft shuffling was distant. Then, I took a shaky breath and headed back in.

She was about ten feet away when she abruptly turned her head in my direction, snarled, and began shuffling towards me at an alarming pace. Preparing the rope, I braced myself.

She charged straight towards me and I stood unmoving until she was just a little more than an arm's length away. I dashed out of the way at the last moment, making her crash into the recliner behind me. I worked quickly to tie her down before she could recover.

Before I could knot the rope I felt her now cold hand grab my arm. I looked up to see what I thought was a sad look in her eyes. I stopped tying the rope.

"Mom?" The moment that word came out of my mouth, she went back to snarling and snapping at me and immediately went back to tying her down.

Then I just sat in front of her. I sat for about an hour, tears streaming down my face the whole time, searching for any signs of my mom. Hell, I was searching for any signs of life other than her guttural growls and writhing limbs. I was searching for that look that she gave me an hour ago. I found nothing.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbing the sharpest knife, and I approached her slowly. The moment I saw her face, I began to sob again.

"I'm sorry Mom, but this is the best way for both of us to move on. I can't let you wander around like the rest of them. Please understand, I'm giving you mercy." I choked out in between hiccups and breaths.

Then, with one fell swipe, I drove the knife through her skull.

A/N: Ah I really shouldn't be starting another story. Anyways, I'll try to update every Saturday but all of July is going to be a little tricky because I'm gonna be in Korea for a month and expecting a constant wifi connection is unrealistic. I hope y'all are going to enjoy this story as much as I'm going to enjoy writing it!