Ch 4: Explanation

Dabin's P.O.V.

"Well, my name is Kang Dabin and I was home when the apocalypse began. My mother came home bitten, and I had to kill her with my own hands." I started.

"We don't need a sob story. Four minutes and fifteen seconds." Shownu interrupted. I ignored his interruption and continued to tell my story.

"I couldn't stay in the house after I had to-that... Happened," my voice got caught in my throat, but I gulped and kept talking, "so I packed up what I could, and I left. I had nowhere to go, no one to go to, and the city was in complete chaos. I wandered about aimlessly for weeks, avoiding anything that looked or sounded like trouble and I eventually found my way out of the city and into the country, still alone. I had thought that since the countryside had been less densely populated there'd be less zombies; I was so wrong.

I came across a huge horde of them. There was no way around and many had spotted me by the time I could formulate an escape route. I was running out of options."

*flashback to the hoard*

My breathing was so loud I felt like it could be heard over the hundreds of groans and gargles coming out of the undeads' throats. I could feel the adrenaline pumping throughout my body and my head was throbbing from the increased blood flow.

As they approached me with their arms reaching out for the taste of living flesh, I knew that I was being cornered.

Desperately, I tried to climb the fence to escape, but my muddy shoes kept slipping off of the smooth boards.

10 meters. 7 meters. 5 meters. Closer and closer they scuffled. I was sobbing at this point, slowly losing hope. Suddenly, the closest one grabbed my arm and tried to take a chunk out of my arm. It managed to sink its teeth into my forearm before I drove a kitchen knife through it's skull.

"Fuck!" I yelled. It hurt like a bitch, but that extra adrenaline allowed me to scale the fence in one go, preventing me from becoming complete fresh meat.

I ran for what seemed like hours until I slumped at the base of a tree, exhausted. I looked at the bite wound on my arm and sighed; at that point, I welcomed death.

I sat there for hours, until the sun began to set. I expected the fever, and the delirious hallucinations that hit every victim before they turned, but it never came. I felt the throbbing pain of the bite and the soreness of my legs, nothing else.

*end of the flashback*

"Wait, so you were bitten and you didn't turn? Bullshit. For all we know, a dog could have bitten you" Kihyun said, incredulous. I held up my forearm revealing the scar from what had happened years ago.

"This is too small and rounded to be a dog, or any animal other than a human, bite." I twisted around from my to reveal more bite scars on my shoulder that weren't covered by the straps of my tank top. "I've collected plenty of evidence to prove my point." I stated bitterly.

"And the cuts on your wrists? Did you do that to yourself?" Shownu asked, gesturing towards them with his gun which was still pointed at me.

"No. Dear God, I didn't do this to myself. I didn't survive up to this point just to kill myself that way."

"Then who did?"

"Ah, well... I'll have to start where I left off then..."

*flashback once again*

After I was sure I wasn't going to turn, I decided to continue my destination-less journey deeper into the forest. I didn't get very far when I heard a man yell and a whole bunch of gunshots. Curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to venture over to where I thought I heard the sounds, being sure to stay hidden.