Chapter 40

"Well," the doctor begins. "Can you tell me what the last thing is that you can remember?"

I strain my memory to think back to the last time I was conscious. I've seen a lot of things recently, but I'm not sure if those were dreams or not.

"I think the last thing I remember happening while I was conscious was myself falling. I've had many dreams lately of falling, so that may be incorrect." I tell the doctor and my friends.

"According to Mr. Friar, that is what happened." The doctor says. I turn my head towards Lucas and see he is nodding. "Riley, do you remember where you were at the time of the fall?"

"No. I've had so many dreams of falling that I can't tell the real one from the fakes."

The doctor considers this. "It seems my suspicions were correct. You were in a coma for the past three days. When you first arrived in the emergency room, they instantly scanned your brain for something wrong. The scan showed your brain was closer to the sides of your head than it should be. That might be why you've had so many dreams of falling like you did that night, just in a different location. Your brain may only be able to dream of falling now."

It takes me a moment to take all this information in. "Will I ever be able to recognize the real fall from the fake one?" I ask.

"That's what I'm unsure of. Your head hit the floor hard and it seems to have messed up some program in your brain. The fall set your train of thought off course from what it normally would be. This is common for people not to remember the last moment of consciousness, but not common for their brains to have moved. We have to keep you here until you can figure out which fall is real."

"How long will that be?" I hear my mothers voice from the doorway. I turn and look and see my mother is really here and it's not my brain tricking me. That's a relief. "Sorry, I would've been here sooner, but I just got off from work." She says, walking over to me. I give her a hug when she is close enough to me.

"I don't know how long Riley will have to stay in the hospital." The doctor says. "It could be a few days until Riley remembers up to a few months."

"A few months?" Farkle says. I'm surprised he has remained quiet for so long.

"Yes, a few months. It all depends on how long it takes for Riley to remember this event."

Everyone sits there for a while, taking it in. I could be here for a few months if I don't remember the real fall. But, the doctor did give me a hint. My head hit the floor hard. In my head, I instantly separate the falls that happened indoors from outdoors.

Hopefully I remember soon.