Chapter Four: Welcome to Paranoia

Evelyn's POV

"Welcome to Paranoia, Virginia. Population: 164." Merlin read off a sign two days later. I'd dropped my glamor, revealing my natural appearance of petite, pixieish frame, dark green eyes with gold flecks (identical to Merlin's), and dark red hair. Not orange, not dyed, but honest-to-god red.

"Yeah. I should warn you, there's a reason he lives here. He's pretty paranoid and he hasn't met you yet. Me vouching for you isn't going to be enough, he's going to give you the full testing." I warned.

"What's full testing?" Merlin asked.

"It involves, but is not limited to, an iron knife, holy water, and psychic probing." I summarized.

"Real pleasure to be around." Merlin commented.

"His name's Luke, but we all call him Twitch." I laughed.

"Who's 'we'?" Merlin asked.

"A few lesser known enchanters." I replied casually.

"A coven?" Merlin asked, concern etched into his furrowed eyebrows and slight frown. 

"You make us sound so wrong." I laughed.

"Evie, I'm serious. Covens are dangerous." Merlin told me, his expression unchanging.

"Covens aren't dangerous, the enchanters in them are. And we've been psychically probed. We couldn't get away with murder if we tried." I assured him.

"How many of you are there?" Merlin relented.

"Five. There's Luke, Emma, Indigo, Oliver, and me." I explained.

"Only two guys? " Merlin joked.

"Well, there's an offer for a third one if  you're interested." I prompted.

"I'd like to meet these people before I join their coven." Merlin told me.

"That's good. They'd like to meet you as well." I told him.

"You could've told me this before you dragged me here!" Merlin protested.

"I still hoped I was dreaming and you WEREN'T coming with me." I snapped.

"Well, too late now. You're stuck with me and we're going to meet the rest of your coven." Merlin said.

"Agreed." I sighed.