Chapter Two: Explanations and Arguing

Evelyn's POV

"Is this what you do? Just keep running?" Merlin asked. We were in the car, and I got the extreme pleasure of driving.

"It's worked rather well for me." I agreed.

"You seriously listened to that rule about never staying in place for more than five years?" Merlin asked, incredulous.

"Um, yeah. It was written for a reason. I mean, people are gonna notice if you don't ever age." I pointed out.

"So, you listened to the rules and now you're a pickpocket who takes work in a bakery or restaurant when she can. Meanwhile, I'm well off. I've got a girlfriend, a home, a life. So, who's taken the better deal, the one who plays by the rules or the one who was willing to break them?" Merlin challenged.

"Shut up. Not every enchanter can have the same life. I still remember what happened last time we worked together. You took all the credit and became immortalized in words, while I slunk in the shadows, the genius that you stole from." I snapped.

"It's been 2000 years! Get over it!" Merlin yelled.

"Why should I? Give me one good reason why I should!" I told him.

"Because now we're stuck working together." He pointed out. I bit the inside of my lip, thinking about how to argue with this.

"Don't think this is over." I finally said.

"Where are we going?" Merlin asked after a pause.

"An old friend of mine. He's one of the lesser enchanters, so don't bother trying to remember his name." I informed him.

"He? He's a he?" Merlin laughed.

"Yeah. I don't see what's so funny about that." I said as Merlin started laughing harder.

"Evie's got a boyfriend!" He laughed.

"How old are we?" I demanded.

"I dunno, lost count." Merlin agreed, finally wiping his eyes.

"Because I've seen little kids act like that, but we're a bit older than them." I said, but that didn't stop my smirk from creeping up the side of my face. How could I hold a grudge against Merlin that long?

"So, where's this friend of yours?" Merlin asked.

"Virginia." I answered.

"Well great. That shouldn't take too long." Merlin sighed, and put his head on his arm, staring out the window.

"Come on. Do you want lunch?" I prompted. Merlin perked up at that.

"Yes please." He agreed. I had a theory that Merlin was still stuck in the 'if it's food, I'll eat it' phase of life. He was also proving I was probably right.

"Come on then, you black hole. I know a place." I laughed.