Chapter Three: Failure Number One

Luther's POV

I fingered the handle of my knife, staring at the pair. The girl was watching as her brother devoured the sandwich in front of him. Pathetic. This was too easy, they were too simple to track. It was unreal, being so close to taking our revenge again. Then I accidentally looked into the sister's eyes, and it was as if she was reading me. She hadn't been watching her brother. She'd been scanning. Her fingers brushed her lower leg. She was nervous. I realized I had to strike-fast. I whipped out the knife, aiming it at the sister. People started screaming, but the sister pulled a knife out of the bottom of her jeans.

"I'd like to say I'm surprised to see you here, but then I'd be lying." She smirked.

"Well then, I'm so scared." I replied sarcastically.

"Merlin, pull the fire alarm." She ordered.

"But-" her brother started.

"Just do it!" She yelped. He did as said, and the alarm went off. Her brother, without saying anything, started directing people out.

"Well then, now that that's settled, here's what happens to those who bite of more than they can chew." The sister said, then stabbed her knife through the ribs. I knew I was a lost cause.

Evelyn's POV

I walked right by the body on the ground.

"What are we going to do?" Merlin asked.

"Arson, death faking, your turn to pick." I suggested. We slipped through the kitchen, where we found cooking oil. I studied a bottle of it carefully.

"I know that look. What are you planning?" Merlin asked.

"Do you know how hot this stuff gets and how many times I've accidentally burned myself with it?" I asked, smirking.

"No and no." Merlin informed me.

"For the record, it gets really hot." I explained, picking up two containers. Merlin's eyes lit up with excitement. Using my old, beat up jacket soaked in cooking oil as kindling, I was left with my tattoo on my shoulder, an ornate butterfly in silver ink, uncovered and giving away an identification mark. I threw the match in, and we ran out as the fire spread.

"Um, Evie, in case you haven't noticed, someone called 911." Merlin informed me.

"Drive?" I asked

"Drive." Merlin agreed.