7. General Rose

"Does my father know about this room?" I ask, still shocked.

"I don't think so. He probably forgot all the special rooms in this castle." Rose replies.

I step into the Armory. How did I not know about this? When I was young, my curious mind always told me to go explore around the castle. But then I remember, Rose always told me to keep out of certain rooms and even certain staircases. Now I know why.

"Rose... what is all this?" Is all I could say.

"Well... It's a Weapons Room. I kept you away from this floor because you were just a child. I didn't want you to be frighten. As you got older, I didn't think this room would concern you. But now, perhaps it's a good time to use it."

I'm speechless. I look around the room full of endless weapons.

Am I going to use some?

"Well, now that you know this room is available for you to use, you must keep it a secret from your father. Just like the Hidden Documents." says Rose.

"Oh, of course... Am I going to learn how to use a weapon?"

"Yes. If your planning to end the King's life, you must do it stealthy and quietly or fast and quickly. Your choice. But you must always be careful." She says like she's my teacher.

"...Rose, how would you know how to kill?" She's scaring me now.

She walks to a wall and motions me to walk over there. She points to some kind of certificate that is framed. I'm surprised when I read it.

General Rose L. Mayfield
Served as War Commander for
The Battle of Cove.
A Token For Protecting The Kingdom

War Commander? General?

"Rose... you fought in a war?" I ask, still in shock.

"Fought, took charge, led my troops, ordered other troops around. You name it. I was an excellent fighter." She pointed to the certificate. "Proof."

"But... a battle? Who do we have to fight around here? We're the only kingdom around!"

"Thanks to me, we are." She smiled.

Again, I'm speechless. She's kept this secret from me for who knows how long.

I wanted to know more about her. "How long ago was this?"

"Well I'm about 58 years old, it feels like forever since the war ended. I became general when I was... about 25."

"25? Seems a bit young." I say.

"Well your late grandfather gave me a chance." She says.

"My grandfather?" I ask.

She nods. "King Lance." She answers. "He was at the brink of his life and Leadership. Did you know, that there were once other kingdoms near by? But we never got along. Mostly because the other Rulers were driven by greed and wanted as much land as they could conquer. There was one powerful kingdom called Poten, ruled by Queen Lisette. Once her kingdom vanquished all the others, Cove was all that was left. The battle was brutal."

I'm stunned, but she looks like she's reminiscing about the war.

She walks around the room. "After all the male generals took off, I was the only warrior who was next as Commander. And I have King Lance to thank. He gave me that certificate just in time before he died. Then Lawrence became King."

I ask, "Is that when everything turned... bad?"

"Not exactly, darling. We were a peaceful kingdom. The only kingdom around. I still had my job. But when you were born... He fired everyone on the force because he thought there was no need for us. He fired everyone, including me. He didn't know who I was, no one did, actually. Cove just wanted someone to end the war as soon as possible. King Lance was the only one who acknowledged me for Cove's victory. Today, the war seems insignificant to Cove... as if it never happened. I was left without a job. I was alone for a while. The king was so foolish to fire every worker in his castle, he was hiring again. I was desperate, so I applied for a maid." Rose

"Why not a guard?" She had experience, so why not?

"I didn't think he would've let a woman be a guard. Besides, the positions were already quickly filled." She replies.

She smiles at me. "But my real reason was because I wanted to look after you. I knew Lawrence would be in depression. I had a feeling he wouldn't take care of his kingdom. Let alone his own daughter."

I smile back. She became a maid just so that she would get close to me? To take care of me?

She's like the mother I never met.

She continues. "It was a nice transition, from General to maid and guardian. Your father didn't know me personally so it was easy for me to get the job. And thank goodness I did. Because taking care if you, educating you, and practically raising you, I knew that you turned out well." She walks up to me.

I laugh. "Well, we're in a Weapons Room. I don't think that's a safe place to be in."

"No, but being here just means that you'll fight for whatever the cost will be. You'll fight just to save your kingdom. I think you turned out well." She hugs me.

I return it. "Well thanks to you, I did."

We back away and Rose shows me the weapons.

"So, are you interested in any of these to be your main weapon?" She asks me.

I look at the bow concealed in the glass case and the sheath of arrows next to it.

We walk over to the case. "This bow was my main weapon. I eliminated many targets with this one. I wouldn't mind if I passed it on to you." She says while opening the case.

"Really? But I don't know how to use a weapon." I say.

She hands me the bow. "Well then you'll need practice. You'll be taught outside of the castle though. Maybe even out of the kingdom's territory."

"Are you going to teach me?" I say as I take the slightly heavy bow.

She laughs like it's a joke. "Oh no  darling. I forgot how to use my weapons correctly. Someone younger will teach you."

"Who?" I ask.

She shrugs. "Just a friend of mine."

__________________________________________________________________
Who's going to teach Cecelia? Who is Rose's friend? Find out next time!

Please Vote and Comment!
Thank You For Reading! :)