5

"Tea or coffee?" Her voice is sharp and impatient.

He turns to see Maine seated beside him, her hair now cut into a short, chic bob. Gone are the loose brown curls and the sunburned cheeks. In her stead is a polished, sophisticated woman who could now easily pass for a magazine model. Flawless makeup, a dark green wraparound dress, and impeccable heels. She is worlds away from the wide-eyed girl he had met only a few minutes...years? Dreams? Timelines ago?

She looks like a stranger to him now.

"Um...tea siguro," he replies, still trying to conceal his surprise at her new look.

"Tea for him. None for me," she curtly tells the flight attendant.

He stares at her as she hands him a steaming cup of tea, still trying to understand her icy demeanor.

"I should've known. Note to self. Never sit anywhere near 1F, " she mutters as she crosses her legs and smoothes down her dress.

"1F?"

"1F." She gestures to his seat. "The first window seat is reserved for THE Mr. Faulkerson, ALWAYS," she reminds him sarcastically. "God, why do they still seat us together? Hindi ba alam ng crew mo na break na tayo?"

His heart stops. So it did end. He mumbles an uncertain apology. "Baka nakasanayan lang."

She scoffs. "Well, I'm just finishing off all my leaves and then I'll go."

"Go where?"

"It doesn't matter now," she replies sharply.

"Maine...Ang snowflake?"

"France. First time to see snow."

"And when was that?"

"When I left you."

"Are you going to France?"

She gasps and shoots him an accusing look. "Did Nanay tell you? Did Coleen? I told them not to..."

"It doesn't matter how I know, Maine. Just don't go," he insists, the panic in his belly rising.

"Please, RJ, I thought we talked about this." She lets out a tired sigh. "We both know it's never going to work anymore, especially now with you being the new senior vice president."

"Ano?" His eyes widen with surprise. SVP?

She rolls her eyes, exasperated. "Sana masaya ka na. You did it, RJ. The youngest ever SVP of the airline and the only non-family member to sit on the board," she informs him, her voice laced with bitterness. "Balita ko nga you're next in line to be the new Chief of Ops. Grabe, we used to joke about it, and now here you are."

"I...I don't know what to say," he stammers.

She glances at him, this time with a hint of sadness. "Well, say thank you. You've earned it. When you work as hard as you do...well... look, just do me a favor. Ingatan mo sarili mo, OK? I won't be here anymore to do that for you."

A traitorous tear rolls down her cheek. She hastily wipes it off with the back of her hand, affording him a glimpse of her wrist. It is bare. The bracelet is gone.

So it's true. We are over.

She looks at the floor and clears her throat. "Well, look at the bright side, RJ. At least ngayon, you'll have all the time in the world."

"But I don't want all the time in the world," he replies, no longer attempting to conceal the desperation in his voice.

"RJ, we've talked this through already," she reminds him. "And besides, AirFrance is a done deal. I signed last week." She turns to him with a weak smile, eyes red from holding back tears. "Time to see the real world."

Panic consumes him. He grabs her hand in desperation and brings it to his lips. "This is a mistake. I don't know much, but I know it shouldn't end like this. 'Wag kang umalis, please."

"I just hope we were worth it," she sighs, still holding back tears.

"Let me make it right. Just stay with me. I'll make time. I'll give us more time. Please."

Then he says the only thing that makes sense at this moment.

"Marry me, Maine."

She shakes her head sadly, tears now streaming freely down her cheeks.

The lights begin to flicker again. He clasps her hand even harder. "I'll follow you to France," he swears. "Until you take me back. Until you marry me. I won't stop asking until you do."

Dark. Light. Dark. Light.

She smiles sadly as she caresses his cheek.

"Then don't stop asking."

Dark.

Light.

The pain in his heart lingers long after the darkness comes.