viii

"for on that day their worlds collided even more, and she was sure the green pair of eyes had captured her entirely."

***

"Your mom actually said yes?" she turned to me, the winter rays hitting her face perfectly.

I had called my mum to ask about her spending the holidays with us after Av had left after our cleaning session a few days before. She was all for the idea and had the guest room made up for her. I couldn't wait for the two to meet, I was sure they would get on well.

"Yes, Av," my hand placed itself on her thigh. "The guest room is already made up. You're officially the first girl I've brought back home."

And by the way her face scrunched up, I could tell she was truly happy. Hopefully excited as well. I was absolutely determined to make this a great Christmas for her. Our first Christmas out of many. I hoped.

"You don't know how happy that makes me. Thank you," her hand found mine on her leg and she hummed along to the Christmas music flowing throughout the car.

Little did she know, I had something planned for her. I thought out where I'd take her each day in hopes of her gaining a sense of love for my hometown. Along with a little surprise on Christmas Eve. Well, not exactly a little surprise.

"Harry."

My eyes went to her and I raised my eyebrows, "hmmm?"

"When are we leaving? And how long are we staying?"

Her fingers had laced themselves through mine, almost absentmindedly. With her other hand, she traced her index finger over my cross tattoo softly. It was her favorite one, along with the hanger and nails.

"Um, I think we're leaving in two days- Friday the 23rd," I tried to remember what my mum had told me on the phone, "and I'm almost certain we'll stay for New Years if that's okay?" It was sort of a long time to be with my family and I. Hopefully she would agree to it, but I wasn't going to make her.

Her fingers had moved from my tattoo to one of the rings I wore, twisting it around my finger while deep in thought.

"That sounds lovely. I just really hope your family likes me, H." She looked to me with pleading eyes and separated her hand from mine to bring it through my hair.

Her fingers brushed through my messy hair and scratched my scalp softly. My eyes closed and I hummed softly.

"They're very friendly people. They'll love you, trust me. Just be comfortable around them like you are with me and all will go well," I reassured her and nudged my head further into her touch.

A smile tugged at her lips as she reminded me to keep my eyes on the road. It was the start of our daily routine, me working at the café while she sat at our table writing or reading a book.

I opened her door and trudged through the snow, holding the door open for her before being covered by the warm air inside the space like a blanket.

If I was being totally honest, the last thing I wanted to do was work. It had been so busy with the holidays coming up and whatnot that all the enjoyment that usually filled me had burned out due to exhaustion. People seemed rude as ever, which didn't add up, seeing as it was supposed to be the happiest time of year.

With a sigh, I shed my jacket and flung my apron over my head. The day was about to be boring as hell, but the sight of her at our table made each minute tick by a little faster.

***

"Do I need to pack a dress? Shit, do I even have any dresses?" Aviana's muffled voice asked from her closet.