Ch. 8

"Oh my god..." I said, burying my face in my palms.

"Charlotte-..."

"How many were there?" I asked, cutting Wilford off, and not bothering to look up at him.

"I-I don't know..." He said.

"You don't know?" I looked up at him. "Why don't you know?"

"I lost count..." He replied.

"Oh god..." I covered my mouth. "After what number?"

"A-about... 50..."

"I think I'm going to be sick."

"But that's why I moved out here to start a new life!" He tried to explain.

"To start a new life!? How can you even live with yourself, Wilford!?" I shrieked, standing. "You've murdered who knows how many people!"

"I-I know... but-..."

"But what?" I cut him off once again. "You're a monster, Wilford! I can't believe you had me fooled..." I said. Realization kicked in. "Oh my..."

He reached out, with a sad look on his face, to try and touch me, but I shrieked and jumped backwards.

"No! Don't touch me! No more!" I yelled. I turned and ran out of the dining room, towards my room. On my way, I literally ran into Dark, causing me to fall on my butt.

He was quick to help me up, as I groaned in pain. "Are you alright?" He asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

I hugged him, crying into his chest. "You were right!"

"Of course I was... but who am I to tell you that?" He said softly. "Mark will be coming tomorrow to pick me up, so if you want to come, as well, you can pack. No one is stopping you from doing what you think is right." He told me.

I nodded, wiping at the falling tears.

He gently stroked my back.

"You..." a voice behind us hissed.

"Me..." Dark replied in a bored tone. He looked down at me. "Go on, Darling, and I will be along to help you with whatever you need in a minute." He said.

"Okay..." I said, taking a shakey breath before walking off. I stopped around the corner to hear they're conversation.

"What will she need help with?" Wilford asked.

"Packing. She is to leave with Mark and I, first thing tomorrow." Dark said.

"Why do you do this to me?" Wilford asked. He sounded defeated.

"I didn't do this to you. You did this to yourself. Every other time I hurt you, is because it amuses me." Dark replied. "Did you really think, Wilford, that you could hide that from her forever? She was going to find out sooner or later."

"She didn't have to! Not like that!"

"She would've reacted the same way, no matter how you explained it. You're still a monster in her eyes." Dark explained.

"So now you're taking her away from me?" Wilford was on the brink of crying.

"No. This was her choice."

~~~~

I sat in the back seat of the car, letting Mark and Dark take the front two.

"---and she loves to cuddle! Especially after midnight if she's still awake!" Wilford said. He had tears in his eyes as he talked to Mark. Wilford refused to look at me.

"Okay, Wilford. I'll take care of her. I promise."

"Don't let Dark near her..." Wilford pleaded.

"I promise." Mark said. He glanced over his shoulder at me.

He and Dark really did look alike. Wilford looked like them, too. I mean... I guess it shouldn't surprise me. These two creatures came from that man's imagination.

Once Mark got into the car, Dark got in after, and then we were on our way. I didn't bother saying bye to Wilford. I couldn't look at him.

"You'll love it in L.A., Charlie." Mark said. "Can I call you Charlie?" He asked.

"Sure." I muttered.

"I hope you don't mind, but we do need to make a quick stop. We're dropping Dark off at his place."

~~~~

After dropping Dark off, I moved up to the front, and I had gotten into a conversation with Mark.

"So what made you want to create these two beings?" I asked.

"Hmm?" He hummed. "Oh... here's the thing. I didn't create Dark. Dark was created by the fans." He explained.

"Fans?"

"I'm a YouTuber. I make funny videos and post them on the internet for people to enjoy." He said.

"Ohhhh... why did your fans create a demon version of you?"

He shrugged. "I don't know, really. I thought it was pretty cool, and I played along until they came to life."

"And the other 'ipliers?'" I asked.

"You know about them, huh?" He asked.

"Dark may have mentioned something about them..."

"They're no one you really need to worry about. They're not that powerful in person..." He said.

"How many were actually created by you?" I asked.

"Maybe like two... Googleplier and Wilford are the only two I can think of..." He said.

"The rest are fan created?"

"Basically. Yes."

It was quiet after that. I wanted so badly to ask about Wilford, but what would I ask?

"Happy birthday, by the ways." He said suddenly.

"Thank you." I said. "Its not quite that happy, though..." I mumbled.

"I'm sorry about Wilford, Charlie... I really am." Mark said quietly.

"Its okay, Mark. It's not your fault..."

"But I created him to be a murderous monster for humor..."

"How did he open his own candy shop without anyone recognizing him?"

"People are too dull to see a real thing sometimes. And other times, they think it's a joke, or something..."

I looked over at him. "Is it bad that I think I've fallen for him?" I asked.

"Of course not, darling." Here we go with the pet names, again... except... this time, it actually feels oddly soothing hearing it come from him.

I blushed again and looked out the window at the nightsky. We'd been driving for five hours, and had three more to go.

"Wilford is a good guy when he tries, Charlie. And I'm glad you gave him a chance."

I smiled sadly to myself. "Maybe this is for the best, though." I said.

"Possibly. Now get some sleep, babe. We'll be home before you know it." He said.

I fell asleep in a matter of minutes.