Chapter 2. This is Berk.

So, this is Berk. 

It's twelve days North of hopeless and a few degrees South of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery.

My second home. In a word? Sturdy. It's been here for nearly nine generations but every single building is new and improved. There's lots to do on Berk, there's fishing, hunting and a charming view of the sunsets, but you want to know the best part? The pets!

Yep! This is where the vikings and dragons made peace. They all moved in years ago and in my dad's words 'Why wouldn't they? We have everything here!' and my dad is one hundred percent correct!

Howard, Hayden and I landed in the dragon hanger, this is where most of the dragons were kept. Thistle and Blade trundled off to find a feeding station whilst my brothers and I went to meet grandpa Stoick at Mead Hall. 

I felt bad for grandpa, he's been a chief for like...nearly forty years? I dunno I could be mistaken but that's a really long time for a chief. If my dad handn't become the king of Scotland alongside my mum, he would have been chief of Berk. So you can see why grandpa Stoick is kinda desperate for an heir and if I do become chief I'll be the first female to rule Berk. 

"So what are the plans for the rest of the day?" Howard asked as we strolled along the village square. As we walked we waved and said 'hello' to a few of the Berkians. 

"Meet with Stoick and get settled in. That is about it so far." Hayden muttered as he waved to a group of giggling teenage girls. 

"I'm might go see the gang at the academy after." I smiled as I thought of my friends who I haven't seen since my last visit at Snoggletog. When my brothers and I first came to Berk we joined dragon taming classes at the dragon academy and we quickly became friends with the other classmates: Barak (Hayden's closest friend on Berk, the thing they have most in common is arrogance) Halvar (he's very intellectual for a viking if you ask me) Raisa (one of the most easy-going girls on Berk) and last but certainly not the least in any way possible...Gael! (I don't really think he's actually spoken to me before but he's one of the strongest viking men of our age on Berk, plus he's drop dead gorgeous!)

Woah clam yourself El...

"Oh right! Hayden and I'll come down with you later then!" Howard chirped. I knew that since we were fifteen Howard had the hots for Raisa, but he still hasn't confessed. Maybe I'll see how Raisa feels about him...

"Try not to drool when you see Gael then." Hayden chuckled. Quickly, I punched him on the arm, jeez he's full of insults today. "OW! What was that for?!" He grumbled as he rubbed the sore patch on his arm. 

"What is this? Pick on Eliza day?!" I snapped in response. Hayden stuck his tongue at me which then earned him a punch to the other arm from Howard. 

"C'mon mutton, let's just go and find grandpa." Howard muttered. With that we continued on in silence. 

Mead hall was filled to the brim with vikings as it was around lunchtime. Usually grandpa would be around the front with Gobber, an unusual yet friendly viking, and great uncle Spitelout. 

"There they are! My wonderful grandbabies!" Grandpa yelled gleefully as he saw us. Rapidly, I sprinted up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck. 

"Hello dear!" He chuckled as he hugged me back. 

"I've missed you grandpa!" I exclaimed. I pulled away and then gave Gobber and Spitelout a quick hug. 

"And there are my strong strapping lads!" Grandpa boomed as Howard and Hayden stepped forward, they shook hands with Grandpa trying to show their manliness. 

"Hey grandpa!" Hayden beamed. Grandpa Stoick gestured for us to sit down and join him for lunch which we gladly accepted since we left home really early this morning. 

"So, how is everything in Scotland? How are Hiccup and Merida?" Stoick questioned with a wide smile on his face.

"Mum and dad are great! Dad has been going into the village school with Toothless so the children become familiar with dragons." I muttered after swallowing a mouthful of Icelandic Cod. 

"Ah! That's my boy!" Grandpa exclaimed. 

---

Young vikings were flooding out of the academy, probably after a lesson. Once they had all cleared I jogged down the slope into the arena. As usual, Barak and Halvar were bickering, Raisa was watching them with an amused expression and Gael was perched on a stool sharpening his axe. 

"I could take you down any day!" Barak yelled at Halvar. It was true, Barak was a sturdy viking, his arms were thick with muscle it's just a shame that his skull is thick. 

"It's always brawn over brain with you!" Halvar snapped back. I was now in the arena watching them with my hands on my hips, quite surprised none of them have noticed me yet. 

"What even is brawn, Halvar?" Barak chuckled. 

"Physical strength but not a lot up there!" I giggled, tapping the side of my head. 

"Eliza!" Raisa cheered. She ran towards me with her arms open wide. The two us us collided in a hug which was followed with a fit of giggles. "You're finally back!" She observed. Halvar and Barak came over for a quick hug before going back to their pointless argument. 

"Yeah, it's the usual summer visit!" I smiled. 

"So the boys are here too?" Raisa cocked a brow as she folded her arms. 

"Yup although I wouldn't really call them boys now..." I joked. As if on cue, Hayden and Howard strolled in. Howard and Hayden were easily a head or so taller than me which meant they towered over Raisa as she was a little shorter. 

"Hey boys!" Raisa snickered. She winked at me before turning her attention back to my brothers. 

"Who are you calling a boy? We are men now!" Howard puffed out his already broad chest. 

"Men?! HA! You're nothing compared to the men on Berk..." Raisa teased. Suddenly, Howard's eyes narrowed. Some one was jealous! 

Just as I was about to turn around to catch up with Halvar and Barak, I bumped into Gael's chest. He stumbled back a bit, the axe in his hand crashed to the floor which earned me a glare from Gael. 

"Oh Gods! I am so sorry Gael!" Nervously, I babbled. Gael bent down and grabbed his axe, as he stood upright he brushed off some grit from the leather handle. 

"No worries, have you grown?" He muttered, quickly his stormy grey eyes took at glance at my body. Uh?

"Well I'm not sure..." I muttered. Gael just shrugged his shoulders and sauntered off leaving me to fester with embarrassment. Oh Thor, what is wrong with me?! All of a sudden I felt the presence of someone beside me. 

"You're staring." Hayden coughed awkwardly. Furiously, I blinked a few times before spinning on my heel to face my brother. 

"I am not!" I barked. Yes, yes I was staring. Gael looked so different from the last time I saw him. He was taller, more muscular but not as much as Barak (which to me is a good thing) his black hair was longer and was pulled back into a loose knot just above the top of his neck, a few loose strand had fallen into his face as well. "Does he hate me?" I blurted out to Hayden. 

"No, I don't think so. Gael is just a quiet person." 

"But he talks to you!" I whined. 

"Maybe he likes you?" Hayden murmured. HAHA! Good one brother, I highly doubt it. I didn't respond, instead I sprinted out of the arena before heading in the opposite direction to Gael, I was on my way to the Cove.