Prologue

A warm glowing sunset kissed the horizon as the beautiful summer's day was drawing to an end. Isabelle Clayton sat up from the picnic blanket she had been laying on and took in the breath-taking sight.

For most of the afternoon, Isabelle had been taking it easy by reading a book under the towering tree on top of a low sloping hill. It wasn't until later that afternoon, her best friend had made his way to the park with other people to have a late afternoon kick-about. There was laughter and gossip. Conversations and jokes were made. Soon, everyone started to leave. The blissful, intimate event came to an end and the only people left were Isabelle and Luca. The two best friends lay on the picnic blanket talking, recalling the events that had happened earlier in the day.

Luca Matteo Valentino looked at her with endearment. To Isabelle, Luca was a friend and someone who knew how to have fun. But on the inside, Luca was hiding something. He would often tell her how he felt. But this was different, he didn't know how to tell his best friend the way he felt for her. He felt as though the feelings he did have for her consumed him. He opened his mouth to say what he was feeling, but the moment was lost as soon as she saw the sunset.

"You should take a picture Isa."

"You're right," Isabelle turned to him and smiled. She took out her phone and took the picture. "It'll last longer."

He sat up and looked towards the sunset relishing the sight. Once Isabelle had taken the picture, Luca playfully grabbed her phone and ran down the hill. Isabelle sat where she was, smiling. Looking at her in confusion, he ran back up the hill.

"What's the smile for?" he asked, kneeling in front of her. She looked up at him not breaking contact with the ever familiar misty brown eyes.

"Taking my phone? Really Luca? You know I'd chase you if you'd taken my book." Once saying this she realised her mistake. Straight away he went for her book and ran down the hill. Isabelle ran down after him, yelling his name. After running after Luca for what felt like forever, Isabelle felt breathless and gave up. Luca turned round to her and smiled. He walked over to her and handed both the book and phone.

"I'll get your bag and blanket," he said walking up towards the hill. As she waited for Luca, Isabelle looked at him as if she hadn't before. From the way his chestnut brown hair was messed up, to the way his grey t-shirt clung to his toned body. She turned away and sighed.

Once the folded blanket was in the rucksack, Luca walked back to Isabelle with it slung over his shoulders. For a short girl, she was more elegant than others. The blue floral dress suited her perfectly and if anything, it made Luca want to tell her even more.

Walking together towards his car, they both talked about their latest binge watch of shows followed by the latest songs in the charts. The journey home was filled with a sing along to their favourite artists and awful renditions of Coldplay and Sia sang by Luca. Isabelle couldn't help but laugh through the journey home. The eventful car journey home came to an end as Luca parked outside Isabelle's home.

"Do you want to come in?" She asked. She expected him to say 'yes' like every other time. The both would go in have a drink (a beer for him and half a glass of wine for her) but there was a slight heartbreak that came with the answer.

"I can't," he sighed. From that one sigh, Isabelle realised something was wrong.

"Ok... Just call me later."

Luca nodded and gave her a small smile. If it was supposed to give Isabelle reassurance, it didn't. She climbed out of the car and walked into the house. Once she had reached her front door, Luca drove away. His mind was filled with doubt and concern. Both torturing him.