Chapter 1 - Garden Parties & Borrowing Dad's Car

Standing in the middle of the garden on a hot summer's day, Isabelle Clayton didn't realise how lucky she was. The huge garden where she spent most of her childhood playing in was decorated with simple things. The upstairs bedroom balcony was decorated with white fairy lights. The huge apple tree had lanterns hanging form the lower branches. Further down the garden, Isabelle could see that her mum had organised a huge lunch spread for the family.

Surrounded by the only family she knew, Isabelle saw the familiar faces she grew up. They were all celebrating, smiling and laughing. This was all for her graduating and getting her dream job in Milan.

Isabelle wanted something small, but knowing her Mum and Dad, that wasn't going to happen. She looked around the garden seeing some family members she hadn't seen in so long. 4 Years of University and she felt like she had neglected them. Although she cared deeply for them, she had hardly seen them and would always drown herself in work just to avoid conversations about her life. But now, she didn't care anymore. Isabelle had worked hard getting to where she was.

Isabelle looked over to the deck chairs to see her Grandparents sitting back and laughing. From the look on her Nana's face, she could tell that her grandpa had said something that was best kept between them. Making her way through the small crowd of neighbours, she squeezed beside her Nana onto the deck chair.

"Isabelle!" She exclaimed with delight.

"Hey Nana," Isabelle said with a smile as she was pulled into a hug.

With her grandma's arms wrapped around her, Isabelle looked up at her grandpa who was waiting to be greeted. "Hey Grandpa."

Whenever she saw the both of her grandparents together, Isabelle's heart filled with joy. Having been together for so long, it was impossible for Isabelle to believe a scenario where the two of them weren't together. Since she could remember, her grandpa looked at her Nana with endearment.

His bright blue eyes were always on her. As a child Isabelle was always envious of them. Even though she had green eyes as a child, she had hated it since she was called a green eyed monster and was teased by the mean girls in her class. Nana would always try and comfort her, and try and explain how green was a beautiful colour. But every time she was spoken to, Isabelle was mesmerised by the brown eyes her Nana had. They always made her feel at home and reminded her of dark chocolate. Her mother and Uncles had inherited a lighter shade of brown eyes. Her father always called her eye colour, "in-between-green" because blue and brown made green. It didn't.

"You know from the day you were born, I could tell that you would love your Nana more than me." Isabelle couldn't help but laugh at the statement made by her Grandpa as he faked how hurt he was. Getting up from the deckchair, Isabelle went over and gave him a hug.

"Love you Grandpa," She said, kissing his cheek.

"Love you too Isabelle. So how are you?"

Any other person would have gone on about how great they felt after graduation and how excited they felt about the new opportunities they had. Between Isabelle and her Grandparents there was a different thing about that question.

"I think if I've survived four years without him, then I can manage."

Nana gave Isabelle a sympathetic smile. "You did really well without him sweetie. Look where you are now!"

Giving her a small smile, Isabelle looked around the garden watching her younger brother, Cole, chase their younger cousins. The ear piercing squeals could be heard as Cole shouted how he was going to catch them. Isabelle stood and looked blankly at them. Even after accomplishing everything she wanted to do, Isabelle still felt empty inside.