Chapter 2 - Vintage Cars & Angry Grandpa

If there was anything Damien Best loved more than his family, it was always a good car. From the moment he got his license, Damien enjoyed the thrill of driving down country roads at exhilarating speeds. Not only did he have his first car in a pristine condition only for viewing, but he had his Tesla, Audi and Porsche ready to be driven in whenever he wanted. If he hadn't have married her, Alena would have been convinced that Damien would have married the Porsche they often drove in whenever they would come and visit their grandchildren.

Seeing his son-in-law walk back to the garden, Damien noticed that his first grandchild was nowhere to be seen. Making an excuse about how he had drank too much and how he wasn't as young as he used to be, Damien walked through to the front of the house and saw the newly painted Mercedes drive off.

Even after four years of not seeing him, Damien Best hated Luca Matteo Valentino. He didn't care if Isabelle and Luca had been best friends since they were in nursery. He didn't care how close they had been. He hated the way Luca broke Isabelle's heart and left her in tears for the rest of that summer. If there was one thing Damien could have done, it was to drag that heartbreaker and teach him a lesson or two. However, it would have caused Isabelle more pain and Alena would have had Damien sleep by himself on the couch.

Walking out of the front of his Daughter's house, Damien walked on the gravel driveway and past the parked cars his children and in-laws arrived in. Closing the Iron Gate behind him, Damien stood on the pathway and looked up at the towering trees over the road. The fir trees made the area more private and secluded even though there was a dual carriageway behind it. Although he wasn't fond of the town, he was impressed by the house and how his son-in-law was able to make it into the gracious home he would always come and visit.

His eyes caught hold of the sleek, azurite blue classic Mercedes. He couldn't help but whistle at how good it looked. It was the 1965 classic he always wanted. But knowing Alena, Damien would have to have a valid reason to wanting another car. Not to mention it was another thing for the will as well as choosing who would have a car like that. The idea of buying it for just Alena and Him went around his head, however, it came to a halt as he noticed the rooftop coming down and someone sitting in the driver's seat.

Maybe this was an opportunity.

Maybe this was a sign.

His cheque book was in his car. He could convince them with a pricy cheque.

Walking over, Damien decided to make his move

"Nice car you've got there," Damien said, hoping to get the owner's attention. Damien's eyes wavered over the familiar figure sitting in the driver's seat.

"Thanks," the driver replied trying to avoid Damien.

"It must be hard trying to maintain something like this," Damien stated. Noticing who it was sitting in the front; Damien decided to keep himself from pulling him out of the car.

"Yeah, not many people can fix it."

Damien's hands curled over the passenger door. The anger inside him had to be kept extinguished, not just for his Isabelle, but also because of the car. The boy, who he had trusted so many times in taking his granddaughter out for those bike rides or evening walks, had grown into a man. His hair had gotten darker and longer, his jawline became sharper and his figure had become stronger. Damien concluded to himself that he was too old to teach him a lesson and that he would possibly be pinned down in seconds.

"What the fuck are you doing here Luca?"

Luca swallowed hard before turning to Damien. He noticed that Damien's hair was greyer and the blue eyes were looked striking and fiercer than ever.

"I... I..." Trying to find the words and explain why he was here turned out to be harder than expected. Especially to Isabelle's Grandfather.

The moment was broken once Alena Best prodded her finger on her husband's shoulder. Damien turned around to face his wife with a look that was described as seething. As they both had gotten older, Damien would always get nervous around Alena when she was at her angriest and this was the second time that she was angry.

"Really Damien?" Her voice shrilled. "How is it you have more cars than you have children and yet you still want more?"

As she yelled at him about the possibility of another car and how he could have used the money for something else, her eyes landed on the Luca Matteo Valentino sitting behind the steering wheel.

"You son-of-a-" Alena shouted. She managed to walk two paces round the front of the car before Damien lifted her and carried her over his shoulder and back to the house.

By now all the family members were gathered on the path, having witnessed what just happened and seeing the matriarch of the family over her husband's shoulder. Slowly, everyone went in hearing Alena and Damien berate Luca for what he had done to Isabelle. It was the same thing of how he broke her heart, how she shouldn't be with him and how he shouldn't be anywhere near her.

As her younger brother, Cole Damien Clayton cared for Isabelle even if they had a small sibling rivalry. He had always looked up to Luca as an older brother and rooted for them whenever they were together. So when Isabelle had told him that Luca had visited and kissed her the previous night, Cole was ready for a full on wedding.

He would never be able to forgive Luca completely, but he would if Isabelle did. Growing up Cole was a big believer in Second Chances and Karma. He believed in giving people a second chance and if they messed that up then Karma would have its way.
Slipping from the kitchen and upstairs towards his room, Cole took his phone out and closed his bedroom door. His finger hovered over Isabelle's contact debating to whether call her. The decision not to cloud his mind as he eventually locked his phone and slipped it back into his pocket.

Heading back downstairs, he could no longer hear his grandparents yelling. Everything seemed to have calmed down fairly quickly. Slipping out of the front door and down the drive way, Cole headed to the car Luca was sitting. Hearing him start the engine, Cole yelled at Luca to wait.

"I shouldn't have come here," Luca said quickly.

"But the thing is you did," Cole said holding onto the side of the car. "You may have broken my sister's heart but for some reason you came back."

Luca looked up at Cole, hoping he could mend the bridges he had broken.

"So you are going to come in and explain to me what the hell you are going to do to win her back. And I swear to god if you mess this up, Gramps is going to kick your arse."

***************************************************************************************

[03/05/2019]