8: Andrea the Archaeologist

Andrea took a deep breath and opened the scroll, Austin looking over her shoulder. Mallory tried to pretend she wasn't looking too, but Andrea knew she was. 

Andrea had no problems opening the scroll.... but it was blank.

"Well, that was not dramatic at all," she said.

"What is this?" Austin asked.

"I found it just laying on the stairs. I thought, since it looked really old and worn, it would be something important. I know it sounds stupid," she said.

"It's not stupid," Austin said. "I get your thinking."

As Austin spoke, Zoe walked in, her black curls swinging, a smile on her face. The three on Mallory's bed all looked up at once.

"What's happening, peoples?" Zoe said cheerily. She climbed a few rungs to see what Andrea was holding, being to short to see from the ground.

As soon as Zoe's eyes landed on the scroll, it began to shake. Writing and drawing began to slowly appear on the paper.

Andrea's head snapped up to look at Zoe. "What did you do? It was blank a moment ago!" She said incredulously.

"It's going away!" Mallory exclaimed. 

Immediately Andrea's eyes focused back on the scroll. The images began to spread from the middle again, slowly, like bleeding ink.

"I think we all need to look at it, or it won't work," Austin hypothesised. He tested this by looking out the window, then back again. He was right.

It took a a minute or so for the images to spread completely. The whole scroll was hand-drawn in ink- Andrea couldn't begin to guess how old it was. The page was drawn in black, mostly. It looked like a landscape, with mountains, rivers, and cities, and large black regions that appeared to be the sea. It was indeed a map of the earth. There were also four dots- green, grey, brown and blue, clustered above England.

At the centre of the page was a drawing of an eye, very realistic, with the iris divided into four pieces- also green, grey, blue and brown. It was as small as the dots, located somewhere in Asia. Maybe Korea?

Mallory wriggled out from under the covers on her bed and slowly climbed down to stand on the unclaimed bed below her. "We have to take this to Eros, ask him what it means." Whatever she was crying about, she had forgotten it.

Andrea rolled the map up again and put it back in her pocket. "I agree. Let's go."