Chim- Don't Speak Chapter 7-8

Chapter 7 Changing POVs

    I can't take this anymore. Their eyes are full of a thousand apologies and Kimberley and Justin are getting neare by the second. I hastily excuse myself and head for the toilets. My head is spinning as I use the sink to hold me up. What was that look in her eye? I close my eyes and shake my head trying to lose these thoughts.

   "I've missed you so much."

    My eyes snap open and I see her behind me in the mirror. No more tears I promise myself before I spin around so we're face to face. I know that look. I see the lust. I see the passion. In a moment of temporary insanity I forget the hurt, I forget the pain. I notice she has taken a step closer. I close the distance with my hand on her waist I pull her into me. No words, lips connecting. Its slow, sensual and full of emotions. She brings her hand up to caress my face for more conatct. She breaks away first resting our foreheads together, eyes closed. We're both lost in the moment. I raise my hand to gently stroke hers resting on my cheek.

    I wince when I feel it. A promise is broken. My tears begin to fall.  Its not the smoothness of her skin starting this sudden rush of emotion but the unmistakable feel of an engagement ring. She gently strokes my cheek with her thumb probably thinking these are happy tears. Her eyes suddenly spring open and she pulls her head back but not her hand as mine is still covering it. As she does this I finally open my eyes. We stare into each others eyes, the passion in mine faded but hope still remains in hers. So this explains Nadine's apology, she already knows.

   "I guess congratulations are in order" she says breaking the awkward silence.

    Its only when she removes the hand covering mine that I realize what she means. I must have forgotten to take the ring off after Nadine left. She removes the other hand from my waist and takes steps towards the door.

   "No, wait Cheryl, I can explain." She stops, I take this as a sign to continue. "Its not what you think, I mean yes we're engaged but...

   "Is that why you brought him here to make the joyous announcement tonight."

   " No Chez, just listen. I didn't bring him tonight was an accident. I decided earlier that i was going to leave him and thats what I was going to tell you and the girls. I didn't expect him to be here, honest. I only want you. I'm leaving him, I'm leaving him for you."

   "I've heard it all before Kimberley and you left me with a broken heart and sh!t letter for comfort." The tears are long gone. There's something different about her voice and I'm scared of where this is going. " I read your letter countless times. I even have a favorite line, the last line. Do remember it Kimba?" she asks with a smirk on her face.

   "Of course I do" I say as I look to floor. I can't look at her when she's being like this.

   "What is it?"

    I don't know if I should be playing her game right now.

   "I hope we can still be friends" I choose to play.

   "Ahh yes thats the one. You want to know the irony in it?"

    I not sure if she wants an answer or not. I stay silent.

   "I waited." The smirk fades, sadness replaces it. "That night I waited." Realization slaps me in the face. "I waited for my best friend to come up those stairs and tell me everything would be ok. I waited for my best friend to hold me while I cried myself to sleep. In the beginning I always said whatever happens we would still be friends so I waited."

    I mentally kick myself I should have known. I could have saved a piece of us that night. I begin to turn away from her so she won't see me cry.