Prologue

It was summer of 2020, and Natalie had just finished packing. She was now driving to the apartment complex that she would be staying at until she finished college. At first, she had been so excited to move out of her parents' house, but now that it was happening, she couldn't help but feel a bit nervous. This would be her first time living on her own, after all. She would be going to the University of Seattle Washington next fall, majoring in English.

If someone were to describe Natalie, it would never be as talented or smart; they would usually describe her as antisocial or quiet. Truth be told, Natalie just didn't see the point in talking to people who only cared about popularity or social status. The only friends she needed were her two besties - Ben and Ruth. Ben had been with her since preschool. They had gotten into plenty of mischief over the years, but it was Ruth who had kept them out of trouble in high school. Ruth had moved to Seattle in the middle of freshman year and they had almost immediately became friends. It was Ben and Ruth who had gotten Natalie through some of her worst years. Without them, Natalie didn't know what she would do. This was one of the reasons why she was hesitant of going to this university. Ben and Ruth had decided to go to different Universities. Ruth had decided to go to one in England and Ben had decided to go to one in New Jersey.

The day before Ruth went back to England she had told Natalie that she should try to make new friends. That it would be good for all three of them. So they went there separate ways. Even Ben agreed with Ruth for once which that in and of itself is a miracle. Ben and Ruth had always fought over everything when it came to Natalie. Ben always wanting her to stay near him so he could protect her and Ruth wanting Natalie to try new things whether they were dangerous or not. She had always wanted Natalie to discover new things and try to make friends. While Ben always said that they were the only friends she would ever need. Natalie never got involved in these arguments, thinking it better to let them resolve it themselves.

Now, here she was. Without Ben to protect her and without Ruth to give her any advice. Natalie for the first time since meeting her friends, was alone.