Chapter 10

~Erro's POV~

I was helping soldiers prepare for battle, when Khadgar came running in. "Erro, I need to speak with you and Lothar." I nodded and finished helping the soldier with his armor before following him. I helped Lothar move a trunk as Khadgar spoke. "I need your help. I found a book."

"Of course you did."

"There was an illustration," Khadgar added, unfolding a piece of paper as Lothar opened the trunk. "It showed a gate like the one we saw." We picked up the trunk again and moved it once more. "I tried to show the Guardian, and he became furious, burned all my research." His precious apprentice? Hmm... I was intrigued now. "He would've burned this too if it hadn't been hidden in my robes." Finally, we sat down on a small flight of steps. "Here, turn the page." He flipped the page to show a figure in robes, gesturing to the people coming through the Great Gate. "Okay, now what do you think the image means?"

"The orcs were summoned, from this side of the gate. They were invited in."

"And the Guardian burned your research?" Khadgar nodded. "He's probably just trying to protect you." With that, Lothar handed the paper to Khadgar and walked away. Before I could follow, Khadgar grabbed my hand, "I have a bit more of the story to tell you." I listened to the story and then gestured to the paper. He handed it to me, and I looked at it. "The question is... Who called them in? My father from his prison? Sargeras from wherever he might be?"

"I don't know, but I've got a bad feeling."

"It had to be someone who could talk to Gul'Dan, because Garona said Gul'Dan powered the portal and led them through."

"So, someone had a connection to Gul'Dan and lured them into the portal."

"Maybe, or we're just crazy." He laughed, "Maybe."

"So... Are you going to stop talking to me?"

"No, of course I'm going to still talk to you." I let out a breath of air, "Thank Elune." Khadgar laughed and shoved my shoulder, "C'mon, we've got to get ready."

The meeting spot seemed to be never ending with the color black. The gravel beneath the horses' feet. The climbing walls around the valley. It was ominous and sent chills down my back. Khadgar and I stayed next to Callan while Lothar, Llane, and Garona dismounted. Llane looked back at me, "Erro, you dismount and join us." I nodded, climbing off the horse. I looked back at Khadgar who had a worried expression matching Callan's. "I'll be fine," I whispered before hurrying up next Llane.

A few questions were explained before I was brave enough to intervene, "Ask him if he knows the name of the person who guided Gul'Dan to the portal." Garona translated, and then translated his answer back as he spoke. "He does not know a name, but a voice. Just as much as I know."

"What did the voice sound like to the both of you?"

"It sounded of fire and ash to me. Durotan says it sounded strong and powerful."

"Alright, thank you." Lothar asked his question, "Ask them if they plan to return to their home."

"Our home is destroyed. There is nothing to go back to."

"We are not responsible for the destruction of your world. War with us will solve nothing."

"For the orcs, war solves everything."

"Then why is he here?"

"To save my people."

"Like a king," I thought. "The fel takes life from more than its victims. It kills the Earth and corrupts those who use it." I couldn't help but look down at my hands, doubting myself that I was strong enough to remain uncorrupted. "Gul'Dan would poison everything with his death magic." My mind flashed back to when Garona said Gul'Dan would like me, and I felt a shiver go down my spine. Then, Khadgar's voice rang out in my head, "You are strong. - You're a night elf and proud. - You're my best friend. - I trust you with everything I have. - Like you said, we're best friends." I looked back to Durotan, continuing to listen. "If my people are to survive, Gul'Dan must be destroyed. In two days, the humans we have captured will be used to fuel the portal. If you attack our camp and draw his warriors away, the Frostwolf clan will kill him."

"Two days." A cold, numbness spread through me, and I sensed something bad. "Someone is here... Watching..."

"What do you mean, Erro?"

"Someone else besides the Frostwolf Orcs. I can... smell the fel."

Llane looked around, backing up slightly, "If we do this, you will protect my people until then."

"I will try."

"My lord, I urge you, we hurry this. Something bad is about to come." Just then, an orc fell, but not to an Alliance blade. "Get back!"

"Retreat!" Everyone began to yell and dash back the way we had come. I noticed the green orcs rising from the dirt. Some fought Durotan's people. This was no trap... This was the orcs killing what they deemed a traitor. I blasted who I could, lifting wounded soldiers and setting them on horses that had lost their riders, sending them further onward. I heard my name suddenly, "Erro!" I looked up to see Khadgar holding out his hand. "No! Go, help the wounded."

"Erro, come on."

"I can run! Elves are much better runners than you humans." He groaned and turned the horse the opposite way, lifting a wounded soldier onto the back. "Thank you," I mumbled, turning and slamming the butt of my staff into the face of a nasty, green orc. He reared back and roared at me. I quickly cast a spell, sending him flying, electricity running through him. Suddenly, we were being flanked by orcs rushing in from a fork in the path. Men were falling left and right. What horses could move, I continued to send off with wounded men. Thankfully, I was attuned to nature and could convince them to return for more wounded men. An orc was blasted into ash behind me, as Garona narrowly avoided death. "You alright?" Khadgar called. I turned around and focused my energy, electrocuting those near me in a chain of fire, jumping from target to target. My mind became fuzzy, as I realized I was running low on energy.

My chain of fire had not gone unnoticed as more orcs made their way towards me. I was almost backed against a wall. I turned and ran towards it, running up and flipping behind them, throwing out bolts of ice. They were pinned to the wall by the icicles. As the ice melted, they were left with a hole in their torsos. I smirked at them and threw fireballs at each, incinerating them. I whirled around as I heard a mighty roar. The storm above seemed to increase with intensity. I ran to Callan's side, helping him fight the orcs surrounding him.