-07-

Rain was beginning to seep down from the sky. It felt that a storm was coming. But for now, there was only a drizzle. It wasn't like I wasn't prepared—after the first downpour that the city had, I quickly swooped up an umbrella from the outside of a thrift store. From there, I was protected from any water projectile that came from up above.

Except for snow. That was an entirely different story.

I beamed at the sight of the coffee shop that I was steadily approaching. It was always warm in there, and it made me feel at home. Of course, I couldn't stay forever, but the employees there started to recognize me even when I passed in front of it.

"Hey there!" Rachel said to me when I had finally entered. She was one of the familiar employees, and almost knew my order by heart. I climbed up to one of the bars' stools and put my head down, yawning. "Hey there, Rach."

I drifted back into my thoughts after I said my statement. We and Rachel were comfortable with each other, but I think that neither of us had the courage (or the strength) to actually have a conversation with each other. I mean, it is understandable, since I was hardly even approachable as a person.

Would you go up to a person who always wore a hoodie and baggy pants?

"What will it be today? Orange juice, right?" Yes, even though it was a coffee shop, I always got juice. I felt like it perked me up a bit more.

"Yes, please. Can I get a muffin on the side too? Blueberry, if you don't mind." She nodded and poured the juice from one of the pitchers that they had in the refrigerator. She also nabbed a muffin and placed it on a napkin in front of me. "Enjoy." I gave her a warm smile in return, thanking her for the meal. I took a long sip of my orange juice before placing it back down on the wood surface. The rain continued to tap against the glass of the windows, making the environment more peaceful than before and me give out another yawn.

"I might as well stay awhile..."

-~-

The two girls crept up to the edge of the roof of the coffee shop, looking down at the city street below them.

"Ugh, this rain is seriously getting on my nerves. Why did we have to try and capture him the rain?" Lily moaned, wiping her wet hand on her shirt.

"Evan said so. But listen, before we just rush in there, we need to have a plan." Vanessa said calmly, watching people pass back and forth on the street. She was feeling more confident than ever this time around, and she promised not to fail.

Not this time.

"That stupid scientist? What a schmuck. I say we rush in there. No plan. Come on, let's go!" Lily was quickly about to leap into action if it weren't for Vanessa's stern hand placed on her shoulder.

"No. Here's what we do. I'm going to transform into Beatrice. That was we can look normal. You can be you, of course, but you'll be in the background, waiting to strike. Got it? Wait for a signal... like when I whistle." Lily crossed her arms and flicked her hair at Vanessa.

"Fine. But next time—we do it my way." Vanessa bobbed her head and took a deep breath, feeling her body starting to morph almost instantaneously.

I really don't want to become you... but I have to, then...

-~-

Whispers slowly erupted from within the shop, but I was quick to ignore it. Someone must have been showing someone else a video on their phone or something. I huffed into my hoodie sleeve, just trying to keep to myself for the time being.