chapter 29

A few days have passed since Antonio was allowed to join the Italians side. It had been pretty much quiet; Feliciano stayed in his office and Antonio was able to spend time with Lovino again.

Antonio was so glad to be able to spend time with Lovino again. He had missed him so much. He could tell the Italian had missed him too. Romano would never admit to missing him but every now and then, the oldest Italian would occasionally let his lips be tugged into a faint smile. It wasn't anything another person would be happy about but every time Antonio saw it, his heart skipped a beat. He was glad that Romano was becoming more cheerful.

Antonio would never tell the Italian this but he didn't think Feliciano's plan would have a very good outcome. He would never tell him that he thought it was a waste of time to try and tempt the old Feliciano out. The old Feliciano was buried deep inside himself and strangled by his new, evil self. He expected this would end with Lovino being forced to place his brother another six feet under. Feliciano had already dug his grave and buried his old self in it.

Antonio felt so bad that he couldn't do more. He felt so hopeless. He wanted to be able to whisk Romano out of this torture. The older Italian hadn't been harmed since the last time Feliciano smacked him but not all pain and torture was physical or on the surface. Both Italy brothers had endured enough pain and torture in their life and even if all Antonio remembered of Feliciano was his evil self, he felt this strange feeling that Feliciano had been a very kind and cheerful person.

Antonio still hadn't regained his memories yet. They felt so close yet they were so far away. He would often get the feeling of déjà vu... like he could stretch his hands out and pull all the memories back. They were always just out of reach. Antonio knew he just had to be patient but it would also take off more of Lovino's stress if his memories would come back.

Antonio and Lovino had been spending much of their time together. Lovino taught Antonio the skills Feliciano had taught him. To the Spaniards surprise, he was very skilled with a sword. Lovino had mentioned something about a pirate and anytime Antonio took up a sword, his feet became quick like a cheetah; his arms quick to strike like a cobra and his movements graceful as a dancer. Sword fighting came to natural to him; it was to relaxing to finally feel like he belonged someplace and was in charge.

Lovino made him feel like he belonged most of the time but he would sometimes drift off or look dazed. He knew the situation must be extremely difficult for the Italian but sometimes he wished the Italian would try more to help the Spaniard. He felt so selfish for wishing that. The Italian had already done so much for him but sometimes he felt like a stranger in his own body; he was Antonio, yet he wasn't. Romano would sometimes treat him as he usually would but other times, he would treat him like he was an intruder or imposter.

It wasn't a big deal if Lovino was harsh or cold to him. He was detached. Antonio was a country of passion, and therefore sensitive. He told himself he was probably overreacting. Romano had a lot to deal with and process... it probably had nothing to do with Antonio's memories.

Feliciano treated him the same every time. Antonio appreciated the consistency, even if it was with something so simple. The younger Italian treated him like a member of the team and gave him the day to day task of giving Francis food and water. It was great since he was able to spend a little time with the Frenchman and keep an eye on him.

Antonio was always trusted to go down alone, so when Feliciano asked Antonio to go down the basement with him, he became confused. Why would Feliciano want to go down with him? Maybe he didn't trust him and he wanted to get him out of the way. Maybe he wanted to test his loyalty. Maybe he wanted to see how Antonio treated Francis. Either way, it terrified him to no end. He could mess this up. Romano was just starting to smile again and relax. He couldn't mess this up...yet he couldn't hurt Francis. He could never hurt his friend. He was so worried, he felt like he was going to get sick.