Chapter 1

20 July 2015

The next morning, Coleen Mendoza found her sister, still in her pajamas, pouring through book after book in preparation for her exam in two days.

"Did you even sleep?"

Maine nearly jumped out of her own skin in surprise. She glanced behind her and saw her sister wearing a white sundress and flip flops standing near the entrance of the room. "Hoy, Nicomaine! Tinatanong kita kung natulog ka ba o hindi."

Tinatanong pa ba iyan? Maine knew that she has to do whatever it takes to come on top. That includes reading a bunch of readings, drinking liters of coffee, and stretching the nights until the wee hours of the morning just so she could get a high enough grade.

"Ang dami ko pang gagawin. I can't afford to sleep." She gave her sister a small smile, trying to appease her.

"You need to take care of yourself," her older sister admonished her. "It's already one o'clock in the afternoon."

"What? Seryoso ka ba?"

An annoyed look crossed Coleen's face.

"Bahala ka. Basta sinabihan na kita. Kung mamatay ka, kasalanan mo iyan."

Maine rolled her eyes. "Ang OA mo. Bakit ka ba nandito?"

"Kwarto ko rin kasi ito, 'di ba?" she said sarcastically. "Dumaan lang talaga ako para tanungin ka kung gusto mo bang sumama sa akin."

"Huh? Saan ka ba pupunta?"

"Didn't I tell you? Mike is taking me to Palawan. We're going on vacation."

"Ah, naalala ko na," she confirmed. "Ayokong sumama. Gagawin ninyo pa akong third wheel."

Her sister approached her and put her hands on her shoulders. "Sige na, Maine! Minsan lang naman. Wala ka namang pasok bukas 'di ba?"

Maine gave her an odd look before shaking off her hand. Why is she acting like she didn't know?

"Thursday bukas. Hindi ako pwede."

She opened her mouth to say something but Maine cut her off. "Saka hindi ba magagalit boss mo? Hindi ba kakalipat mo lang ng trabaho last month?"

"Nako, siya pa nag-suggest sa akin na mag-bakasyon," she said, taking a few steps back.

She shook her head, as if unable to believe her sister's luck.

After a while, Coleen said, "You know, you can take a break too. Kung gusto mo, pwede naman nating gawan ng paraan."

"I can't. I really have to study," she protested, thinking of the piles of readings that she still has to go through. "Sinabihan na rin ako ni Mommy na kung gusto ko talagang maging lawyer, I can't take a break whenever I like."

"What...sinabi iyun sa iyo ni Mommy?" She cleared her throat, trying to conceal her distress. Her mother is a hotshot certified public accountant who had to put in more hours ever since their Dad died. As the years passed, they noticed that she changed and started to control what she and her siblings can and cannot do - Maine even more so.

"Oo," Maine agreed. "Kaya umalis ka na nga. Naghihintay na siguro si Mike."

Coleen warred with herself for a few moments. Should she confront her mother about what's happening, or should she just keep it to herself for now?

"Sige," she said, eventually deciding to just leave. She waved goodbye and promised to bring her pasalubongs when she comes back on Sunday.

As soon as she was gone, Maine turned to her readings again and began to dig through the books that laid scattered on the floor and on her table.