Chapter 3

22 October 2015

Maine arrived late at the cemetery.

Her mother kept on harping on about her studies so she was forced to stay until the afternoon. She'd learn a lot during that time, but her mind was elsewhere. She was planning to talk to RJ and tell him her name. For the first time ever, she will dive over the edge of the cliff. She just hoped he was still there.

True enough, she found him sitting on her spot as if he was waiting for her. She stopped for a moment, hesitating. Inhaling deeply, she moved forward until she reached him. She sat on the ground next to him and hugged her knees.

"Hello," she said quietly. "Sorry I'm late."

RJ closed his eyes for a moment before replying. "Okay lang. Dumating ka naman eh."

They stayed silent for a while. Maine cleared her throat to speak.

"Ako nga pala si Nicomaine Mendoza...but you can call me Maine."

He sat up straight and smiled at her. "I can call you mine?"

She rolled her eyes. "Ano ba. Seryoso kasi ako! Mamaya na tayo mag-pabebe okay?"

He mouthed the word pabebe, staring at her confusedly.

After a moment, Maine continued speaking. "Look, I'm sorry for running off when you introduced yourself. I...I guess you could say that I was...scared and confused by what happened."

"Don't worry about it, Maine. I completely understand," he interrupted, trying to reassure her.

"Salamat, RJ." Maine gave him a shy smile, flustered by the attention that he was giving her. "Alam mo, matagal kong pinag-isipan ito. Kung tama bang lapitan kita. Kung dapat bang kausapin kita. Ngayon lang kasi ito nangyari sa akin."

She gives out a short laugh. "Lagi lang kasi akong nasa bahay eh. Nag-aaral. Naghahanda na maging lawyer."

He nodded, waiting for her to continue speaking.

"Kaso, alam mo iyun? Pakiramdam ko, may mawawala sa akin kung hindi ko kukunin ang pagkakataong ito. I know it's strange, but that's exactly how I feel."

RJ's eyes softened, a wide smile crossed his face. He took her hand in his, searching her face for approval. She bit her lower lip and nodded.

"Maine. Sa totoo lang, hindi ko inakala na darating ka sa buhay ko."

"RJ..."

He took a deep breath. "Sa totoo lang, hindi ko alam kung ano ang ibig sabihin ng nararamdaman ko. Ang alam ko lang, gusto kong...gusto ko sanang mas makilala ka."

"Ako rin, RJ. Sabihan mo lang ako kung saan at kailan," she said, squeezing his hand.

Both of them fell silent and watched each other.

"Oo nga pala, bakit ang...tiyaga mo?" Maine asked. "Pinansin mo pa rin ako kahit hindi mo alam ang pangalan ko...kahit malikot ang mukha ko."

RJ smiled gently. "Alam mo, sabi sa akin ng Mom ko, dapat lagi kang maging mabait at maunawain sa mga taong nakikila mo lalo na kung hindi mo alam ang istorya nila. Malay mo, 'di ba? Mas masalimuot pa pala ang buhay ng isang tao kaysa sa iyo."

"She sounds like a smart woman."

"She was," he said in a tight voice, letting go of her hand without warning.

Uh oh. What did I do? Maine thought to herself. Should I start the conversation again?

"RJ...pwede ba akong magtanong?"