Chapter 2

03 September 2015

She's here again.

RJ glanced at the woman who was standing at a nearby grave with bright red and yellow flowers. He debated whether to approach her or not. Should he introduce himself? He took a step forward but something stopped him. He doesn't know her. It doesn't make sense to approach her. Still, he couldn't deny that he felt...something and that he needed to know more about her.

For the past 8 weeks, he has seen her at the cemetery almost the same day and time that he visits his mother. Why is she here? Is this merely a coincidence? Is she stalking to me? He immediately shook off the disconcerting thought, laughing inwardly at how stupid it sounded.

His mind made up, he walked over to her, his gaze on her.

"Hi there," RJ called.

She looked at him, her eyes wide and surprised. "Umm, hello. Who are you?"

He smiled and thrust his hand out. "My name is Richard but you can call me RJ. And you are?"

She stared at his hand for a moment and then looked but at him. "I'm sorry but I don't make a habit of talking to strangers..."

Ouch. His attempt at conversation had fallen flat.

"Sorry," He scratches the back of his head. "It's just that...I've seen you for the past few weeks and I thought I'd say hi."

She raised one curved brow at him and crossed her arms over her chest. "Yes, and so what? Sementeryo naman ito 'di ba? Lahat ba ng nakikita mong kasabay mong bumisita ng patay nilalapitan mo?"

Her comment made him stifle a laugh. He doesn't do this very often.

After a while, he noticed her staring up and down his form so he cleared his throat and raised an eyebrow.

"Hoy, teka. Kung iniisip mong tinitingnan kita dahil gwapo ka, 'wag kang ano! Anohin kita diyan eh," she said defensively.

He laughed because he couldn't help himself anymore. "Alam mo, sobra ka sa akin. Nagpapakilala lang ako, sirang-sira na agad ang pagkatao ko sa iyo. Hindi mo ba ako pwedeng bigyan ng...chance?"

"Kasi naman, Kuya! 'Wag kang biglang lalapit sa mga tao. Parang may masama kang balak eh," she teased.

"I, uh, it's not that! I swear. Walang halong malisya ito, Miss!" he immediately explained. He held his hands out to show that he meant no harm. It was unnerving. He wished he could tell if she was serious or just jesting.

"Joke lang kasi! Ano ba. I'm not trying to pick a fight," she said, looking at anywhere but him. "It's just that...I'm weird when I'm around people...particularly to those whom I just met."

"Okay lang naman sa akin," he reassured her. "Teka. Pwede ko na ba malaman ang pangalan mo?"

"Uh...I can't." She looked over at him and he tried to gauge her reaction. Why does she suddenly look so conflicted? Is it because of me?

He waited for her to explain herself, and when she didn't, he just took it as a sign to leave her alone.

"Oh, I guess I'll just go."

She nodded at him, avoiding his eyes, before turning away and heading towards her car. RJ watched her leave, frustrated and a little embarrassed at himself. What's wrong with you, RJ? You've done this before! Where's your confidence?

"Okay, here goes nothing," he muttered to himself as he raced after her.

"Hey, wait for me," he called out loudly.