Epilogue

24 November 2019

Maine Mendoza has gotten used to waiting. But that doesn't mean that she liked to wait.

It has been forty-eight hours since she last heard from her long-time boyfriend RJ. They spent a week in Barcelona to celebrate because she passed the bar exams.

Should I call Sam or Jerald?

After contemplating what she should do for a few more hours, Maine's phone rang. Surprised, Maine picked up the call. It was RJ.

"Hay nako, ano na ba nangyari sa iyo? Kanina pa ako naghihintay ng tawag mo," she complained, expecting to hear RJ's teasing voice.

"Hello, Maine?" Maine stopped. It was Sam.

"Sam?"

"Yes, it's me."

"What's up? Where's RJ?" She has never gotten a call from RJ's friend out of the blue when he's with them, so this really concerned her. Especially since she hadn't heard from RJ yet.

Sam's voice crackled. "Hello? Naririnig mo ba ako Maine?"

"Naririnig mo na ba ako? Lumabas na ako ng kwarto ko."

"I was calling to...ano," Sam said, his voice suddenly turning sad. "Hindi ko kasi alam kung paano ko sasabihin ito. Si RJ kasi..."

"Ano? Anong nangyari kay RJ? Nako, kung nagtri-trip na naman siya, lagot talaga siya sa akin," she didn't want to believe it.

"Maine, si RJ...naaksidente nung pababa kami ng Mount Apo. Nandito kami sa isang private clinic sa Makati. Hindi pa...hindi pa siya nagigising," Sam suddenly broke down into sobs.

Her phone slipped out of her hand and fell to the floor. She didn't know what to do. This is her worse nightmare turned into reality.

Maine's heart sunk to her feet, and she crumpled to the ground, tears falling from her eyes uncontrollably.

No. No. No. This can't be happening.

"Maine! Maine...Maine!" Sam's voice cut through her trance.

Steeling herself, she picked up the phone. "Asan kayo?"

Sam rattled off the address.

"I'll see you when I get there," she said and then immediately hung up. Picking up her bag, she ran out the door and took a cab. She needed to see RJ right now.

An hour later, Maine arrived at the place Sam instructed her to go to.

When Maine arrived at the venue, she did a double take. The place looked gorgeous, far from what you would expect from a private clinic. She approached a woman in a black dress who guided her to a door.

"Pasok na po kayo, Ms. Maine," the woman said with a smile.

"Teka, kilala mo ako?"

The woman nodded. "Opo, sinabi po ni Sir Sam na darating po kayo."

Maine looked at her some more before turning and opening the door.

She stopped dead in her tracks.

"Ano ito?" Her mouth dropped as she scanned the room. She recognized her family, RJ's father and sister, a few of her friends, and some acquaintances all over the room. But what caught her eye was something else. Or rather, someone else.

At the center of the room was RJ who was staring intensely at her. He was wearing a blue tuxedo with a white shirt; quite similar to what he wore when they first met. He looked gorgeous while she looked like a train wreck in her crumpled red dress and messy hair.