0.2

"pass me another drink, hardlyn." tracy, her mother, told the ten year old.

hardlyn obliged, getting up from her comfortable seat on the plush leather couch, and making her way to the monster she called her birth mother. she grabbed her wine glass, a frown present on her plump lips as she made her way to the small kitchen.

six drinks later, tracy could barely articulate her words. they all mushed together and were usually too quiet to understand. hardlyn kept her seat on the sofa, her eyes glued to their small box tv as she watched her favourite television show - wizards of waverly place.

as the show paused for a quick commercial break, the green eyed female looked back to the spot her mother sat. only to find she was no longer there.

after an hour of searching around their small home, the phone rang. echoing through the home. hardlyn dashed towards it, picking it up with shaky hands.

"hello?"

"hi there. is this the jones residence?" a lady asked.

hardlyn gulped before her nervous voice spoke.
"yes."

"well, miss." the lady on the opposite end began.

"my name is riley cowan, from the police department calling to inform you about your mother, tracy jones."

about your mother. those words rang in hardlyn's ears.

"miss jones, tracy has been arrested for driving under the influence." riley calmly told her.

tracy. arrested. drunk driving. those four words buzzed through hardlyn mind. her mother couldn't have possibly been arrested for drunk driving. Could this be a mistake?

"miss? hardlyn? are you still there?" riley spoke up.

hardlyn slammed the phone down. the line went dead.

that was eight years ago.
eight years later, this is my story.