Ch. 1

::One::

Two boys on bikes sped by, smiles on their faces. A few tourists strolled down the street at an annoyingly- in their words, 'leisurely'- slow pace, peering into the windows of every single shop and restaurant. Cars were waiting for the light to change at the intersection. I was leaning on the counter of The Bookmark, a cafe-bookstore, wondering if any walking patrons were going to come in. I texted my friend Kennie, swearing to her that if one more potential customer pressed their face to the window and peeked at the shop without popping in, I was gonna blow a gasket.

I worked five hours a day, five days a week, and I got maybe ten people walking in each day, with only two or three making purchases. It was maddening.

Pushing myself up, I brewed myself some hot cocoa. I liked coffee, and maybe I was just a kid at heart, but if I could have hot cocoa instead, there was no way I was gonna pass it up.

The door to the shop swung open, the smell of a potential sale in the air, just as I was taking my first sip of my hot chocolate.

It was a younger guy, probably fifteen or sixteen, and he looked utterly bored. He strolled up and down the aisles of books, reading the spines. Occasionally, as one does in a bookshop, he'd pull one out and read the back cover, eyes swiftly scanning the print. I crossed my fingers that he'd find something to get. No one'd made a purchase, yet, that day. I was rooting for a buy.

I took another gulp of my cocoa, fiddling with the creamer bottles and sugar packets. Hurry the fuck up, I thought.

As he started approaching the counter, clutching some mystery paperback, I noticed that he had a flat packet under one arm. I would've been more curious as to what it was, had I not been so excited that I finally had a buyer.

"Hello, sir, is there anything else you'd like to get, or is this book all ya need?" I asked, oozing my fake 'customer-service' cheerfulness.

He scratched his neck, thinking. I yawned a little, hoping I didn't sound impatient, and shifted my weight.

"No, I'll also take a large americano, and a rice crispy treat. Please and thank you." He pulled the cash from his pocket, sliding it onto the counter. I rang him up, handing him his change and the marshmallowy snack. While I was getting his drink for him, I decided I'd try to get a little of what I wanted out of this exchange, and let my curiosity free.

"What's with the package, there? Been shopping around town?" I inquired, trying to sound like I was just making small talk.

"Yeah, I stopped at Maude's and found this record for my collection." He slipped a record out of the pack, showing it to me. It was The Supremes. Maude's was this little vintage shop a little ways down that sold some nice stuff. I nodded approvingly at his previous purchase, handing him his americano.

"If antiques and vintage stuff is your thing, you should stop at Cole's Antique Villa. It has similar stuff to Maude's, but it also has a ton more." He bobbed his head, tucking the record away.

"Thanks, well, have a nice day." He replied, returning to average cashier-customer etiquette with the usual niceties. He sipped his drink.

"You too," I called as he made his way out. I slumped back onto the counter, ready for another long bout of waiting.