Ch. 2

::Two::

Feeling happy, I untied my apron. It was six, my shift was over. I tossed my apron at Luke, the guy who had the shift after mine, and jumped and slid over the counter. Luke rolled his eyes and waved as I trotted out the door.

I pulled on my black sweater, tugging the sleeves over my hands. Sure, I'd just come from inside a warm cafe, but it was damn cold out.

My stomach rumbled, so I decided to drop by The House of Flavors. It's a restaurant slash icecream parlor, and it's decorated to look all fifties-ish. I loved the place. Not to mention I loved messing with my friend Andy, who happened to work there.

Inside, the heater was kicking. Which I was quite happy about. I walked over and plopped down on a barstool, scanning the workers for Andy. When I spotted him, I waved him over in the most obnoxious way I could, smiling when he glowered at me.

"I'll have the usual, Andrew." I said, once he was within hearing distance. He looked distracted.

"I'll be right back with your order, Mikayla." He replied in the same way, mocking me. I smiled, flipping him off.

"Thanks, Andy." Chuckle.

"No problem, Kayla."

I took his leave as an opportunity to scan the rest of the establishment, eyeing the crowds for a particularly interesting specimen.

There were a few I'd classify as sevens, but I was in the mood for an eight or a nine, so I harrumphed disappointedly and rested my chin in my hand.

I heard a faint feminine laugh, so I looked up. A girl with orange hair and grey eyes was smiling at me. She was wearing a Luddington hoodie, which told me she was a tourist, but she looked cute and nice, and I returned the smile.

"Checking out the buffet of men, are we?" She asked, crossing her legs. I smirked.

"As always. I'm slightly let down by the pick today. I was hoping for my choice of extremely attractive men, but it's looking more and more like I'm going to end up settling for a cute boy." She laughed again, in a giggly way, and surveyed the selection of males.

"I agree. This restaurant seriously needs to restock." I grinned widely, and offered my hand for a high five. She smacked my palm aggressively.

"Name's Lucy, I'm moving in with my aunt who's got a place in town. I'm guessing you're local, since not only did you know that waiter-boy by name, you also have a 'usual' here." She stated, nibbling a French fry. I nodded.

"I'm Kayla, and sure am, born and raised. Got a decent place, like, two minutes outside of town. I like it here." I informed her. She fiddled with her earring. I looked impatiently in the direction Andy'd wandered off in.

"He was cute. What'd you say his name was? Anthony? I'd give him, like, a nine. What do you think?" She spoke, biting her lip and looking like she wanted him to come back so she could reevaluate. I made a face, gagging slightly. She seemed confused.

"Andrew. Andy. But I've known him since he was shitting his diaper, he's like my brother. And I'm not just saying that." I clarified. I saw him deep in the kitchen, carrying my plate of food. I rubbed my palms together hungrily, distracted from our conversation.

"Whatever you say..." She muttered, dropping a tip onto the counter. Flashing me a final smile, she dashed out of the restaurant. I decided I liked her, turning my attention back towards the approaching Andy.

"Breakfast ham, cheesy potatoes, steamed broccoli, buttered noodles, cantaloupe slices, Nutella toast, and a bowl of anniversary cake icecream, with vanilla milk to drink, served to the most consistent customer in House of Flavors history- or ever." He dropped the plate in front of me, and the mix of scents hit my nose. I breathed it in, loving every bit.

"Thanks, man. I was starving." He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, I bet you were just famished. 'Cause you totally don't steal food from your place of work all day long." He responded, words soaked with sarcasm the way homes get soaked with kerosene before arson is committed.

I put on a fake innocent face, taking a bite of my toast. He pulled an empty bucket over on his side of the counter, flipped it, and sat down.

"How many today?" He asked. Swallowing a mouthful of broccoli, I looked up from my food.

"I had eight today. Two people bought things. I wanna come work here." I complained, popping fruit into my mouth.

"We aren't hiring. I swear to you, I'll let you know if we ever are again, but it doesn't seem too likely, any time soon." He reminded me.

"Fuck. You should get fired. Or quit. Gimme your job." I groaned. He shrugged at my despair, and I smacked his arm.

"OW!"

"So, we still on for tonight?" I went on, ignoring him. Rubbing his arm where it was beginning to turn red from my slap, he nodded.

"You think it's gonna be a good movie?" He asked. I shrugged.

"No clue, I haven't seen it yet. Probably. I mean, it does have Jaime Fox in it." I answered seriously, shoveling potatoes into my face.

"And Channing Tatum." He added, wiggling his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes, just like he had earlier.

"I've said this eighty-thousand times, Andy, he might have an extremely sexy body, but I don't really think his face is that cute. And I already told you, when I bought the tickets I had no idea he was in the movie." I gave Andy a little speech, which appeared to bore him. Clearing the last morsel of food off my plate, I changed the subject.

"Some new girl in town, not a tourist, named Lucy thinks you're cute." I told him, tattling on the ginger. He smiled proudly, running a hand through his light hair.

"I am pretty attractive." He replied. I snorted. Maybe to other girls, I thought, but not to me.

Andy was about five foot six, had light brown hair, tan skin, and brown eyes. I suppose he was what you could call cute, but it's just not how I looked at him.

"Oh yes, you're the next Miss America." He grabbed my plate, standing up.

"I so wish I could make you wash this dish." He muttered. I laughed, poking him in the face.

"Not within work hours, buddy. You are my bitch until you get off work." I informed him, grinning evilly. Shaking his head, he walked over to the sink.

"You are a demon, a demon in a teen girls' body." I nodded, resting my chin on my palm.

"I'm gonna head home and check on Bloo, and probably shower, and then I'll come pick you up. Sound fine, brutha?" I said, swinging my feet in preparation for getting up off the stool. He bobbed his head, and I skipped off to waste time at my humble abode.