Chapter 1. Back Home.

Back Home

18/07/2015

Katerina reached Skyros by the ship.

Her mother, Gianna went to the airport with her son, Argiris to pick her up.

Katerina saw them and ran to her mother.

"If you only knew how much did I miss you!" She said to her mother.

Gianna said nothing. She hugged her child and never let her go. She was purely happy that she got to hug her after so many years, again.

Argiris stayed in silence. He never liked his sister.

Maybe, because he was adopted and never felt welcomed by his older sister.

"Hello Katerina" he finally said, a bit annoyed that his sister ignored him.

"Hello, Argiris! Sorry for not talking to you. I was just so glad that I finally met mom after so many years that I've left"

"You should come more often here so you could see her. But, what am I saying? Mrs Katerina doesn't want to see us" Argiris bitterly answered.

Gianna got frustrated.

"Stop it, son! Katerina loves us. She was just confused. Lots of bad things happened to her!"

Katerina smiled at her mother. But, she was really annoyed by her brother's outburst. She knew that Argiris didn't like her. But, this was stupid. She just came back home and the first thing he told her was that she didn't want to see them. How unfair of him! It was a lie!

The family got into his car and got driven to the home. Katerina was excited to see the rest of the people she left. Argiris' girlfriend that now they're getting married, her aunts and uncles and of course her friends.

She wore black clothes. People in small islands, like this one, believe that a woman needs to be in mourning for a long time for her dead husband.

Katerina never loved Stelios and she will never feel sorry that she left alone. She was sorry that he died so young and so harshly.

When he died, she got blamed that she did it. She was the only one who could do it in their opinion. But, the police didn't have much evidence so she got freed. She would never kill a man and especially her man. Even though, she hated him.

However, this is harsh to be said for someone who has died and for someone that can't really defend himself.

She sometimes thought of him. What happened and he died? How did he get drown? She wished to be free from him but not like that....She came back to see her family but also to look for what happened that night. She would do anything to know who killed her lost husband and why.

Her mother then talked and got her out of her thoughts.

"Katerina, how is your life in Athens? You never let me come to see you"

"Mom, there is no need for you to be in Athens. I went there to be far from what happened and I now I feel better that's why I'm back in Skyros"

"Will you stay forever?" Argiris asked hoping that she would say 'no'.

"Maybe" She replied, having already decided that she would stay.

Argiris wished that she would say no. He never liked his sister and he will never do. He was so happy that she left that old day, that happy day, as far as he's concerned.

When Argiris was 3 his parents left him in the island. He was a child of some tourists. Maybe, they were Polish. They never really figured out what happened and why. Gianna felt sorry for the kid and she and her lost husband decided to adopt him. They loved him as if he was theirs biologically. Katerina also did. She was a great sister. But, Argiris always felt left out without a good reason. He always competed his sister in everything possible.

They finally reached home, after some minutes in the car.

Gianna occupied with tourists. She had a small hotel and a restaurant by the sea. She earned good money during summer but she didn't work in winters. She loved this job very much.

When they got off the car, Katerina saw that the restaurant was full. It was lunch time. She felt good. Her mother did well with her job. She was happy for her. Argiris is something like a co-owner of the place and he has surely done great. This place looked so beautiful.

"Come in!" Gianna told her and the two women got into the house that was exactly beside the hotel. There was Lukia, Argiris' fiancée.

"Hello Lukia!" Katerina squealed and hugged Argiris' girl.

Lukia was cold but hugged her back hesitantly.. She was probably taught by her fiancé to be like that. Katerina understood but said nothing. If Lukia wanted to be cold with someone she barely knew, she could. Katrina couldn't do anything about it.

"How was your trip?" Lukia tried to sound polite.

"It was good but tiring. Ships can be tiring". Said Katerina laughing a bit, but stopped when she saw that Lukia didn't react the same.

"Do you need to eat anything, Katerina?" Gianna interrupted the two girls who were sat around the table from the kitchen.

"No, thank you. I will rest" Katerina shouted.

She got up from her spot and looked around. She was in the living room. It was a small house. When you opened the door you could see this table and the four chairs that were around. Images were on the wall. Jesus, Mary and St George were hanged, in their images. They looked strict but always with a pure, peaceful glance. A small window was in the right.

In the left part was a hall that led to the kitchen. Left from the kitchen was the bathroom and Gianna's room. Opposite was Katerina and Argiris' rooms.

Katerina went to her old bedroom. She opened the door and saw the bed. Beside it was a broken chair that only was there for décor's sake and the wardrobe. The bed had clean, fresh duvets. Her mother changed them that exact morning. She was sure.

It felt so familiar, so nice, so welcoming! She sat the door and stood opposite the bed, starring at it. She used to sleep with Stelios there. She was miserable back then. She didn't want to lay beside him. She hated him. He used to touch her and she was screaming because she needed him to stop. How bad did she feel being married to him!

She left her suitcase to the car and she didn't have her pajamas with her.Never mind. She could sleep with her clothes.

She laid down and closed her eyes. She was finally home. She could feel something like a burden in her chest but didn't mind her. She felt like this since that day. That day that she was accused of a murder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I don't own the pic/video.