The Dark Abyss

The darkness was the one and only thing present in her eyes, the windows of her soul. Whether or not they were opened or shut, the sight of the dark abyss remained. It was as if she was in an endless sleep, an inescapable nightmare.

On rare occasions, the officer would allow her family members to pay her a visit. However, a "visit" actually meant a glance. If they exceeded the time limit by just one second, they would have to be escorted out. In the first few months, she would be thrilled to see her family. But as the days in the dark abyss went on, all she did was stare into the darkness expressionlessly. Her humanity was gradually diminishing. It was so that even family didn't matter to her. The experience was so unbearable that it was as though her mind was a prison cell, holding her captive only to the thoughts of her misery.

All that was left of her was the overwhelming feelings of sadness, hopelessness and depression. She was scared of being alone, and was frustrated by the fact that she was helpless and couldn't save herself. All traces of happiness were long gone, even in the deepest, darkness areas inside. "What did I ever do to deserve this?" she would cry out numerously. She was so broken from the traumatic, inhuman experience that she would be willing to end her life at any second, as life and death made no difference to her. Human beings were not born to live alone, and if they were, they wouldn't be human beings.

Just eight months ago, she felt the warmth of the Sun against her skin, smelt the aroma of roses, and saw the light, at the outside world. If only she could still remember how beautiful it was to be bathed in the lights of freedom...