↳ CHAPTER TEN

PRONE TO JEALOUSY — that was what Nova Amodei had always been since she was a child cast in her sister's shadow, all the way to the moment she was dashing through the streets of Midgard with fragile humans while Olympia got to shine in the spot...

PRONE TO JEALOUSY — that was what Nova Amodei had always been since she was a child cast in her sister's shadow, all the way to the moment she was dashing through the streets of Midgard with fragile humans while Olympia got to shine in the spotlight. Not many could say that they envied those who got to fight the bloodiest battles, those who had to lay down their lives for the greater good, but Nova had never fit the practical, convenient mold of most people, anyway. And, truthfully, it wasn't the heroic side that tempted her, but the sweet, sweet image of punching a hole in Malekith's face for everything that he had done.

And yet, the woman who might as well have been colored with shades of green, had no choice but to follow Darcy Lewis and her intern as the man beat the rest of Erik's portals into the ground.

Nova ached to take part in the fight that was happening right before her eyes, but despite the restless bounce of her foot, she closely followed Ian complete the task before shooting a look across the street at Jane — the kind that, in its silence, managed to ask if they were finally done and ready to get kicking.

A twinge of Nova's sheer disappointment settled down when Jane pressed the right buttons and successfully created a portal that made a bunch of approaching Dark Elves vanish from sight. The advanced technology earned a surprised clap from the Amodei, as it did from Darcy who mirrored Nova's pleased grin, but the amazement snapped into pieces as soon as the Lewis was rushing to take part in the fun.

Playing with the device ended with Nova and her two new allies switching locations from the center of the city to a nearby street, and before Nova could cheer on the potential danger, a Dark Elf was crashing onto the Volkswagen next to them. Both of the interns in Nova's company screeched at the violent boom, and the Amodei's attempt to ridicule Ian's scream was shot down by the two of them sprinting away hand in hand. So, instead, Nova grinned at the Dark Elves that rounded the corner and joined the one climbing up from the car, and while Darcy and Ian escaped the situation, Nova did the opposite and sighed in relief.

"At last", she muttered in satisfaction, and with her axe in an iron grip, and took a step back before launching the sharp edges of the weapon into one of the villains' stomach and then twirling around to cut off another one's armored leg. As the Dark Elves wound up bleeding out on the street, she delivered the final slices into their chests, and only when they stopped squirming and blood was adorning Nova's cheekbones, she was rushing after Darcy and Ian.

Whenever another enemy crossed her path, she swung her axe and left behind a trail of limbs and guts, not afraid to spread destruction amongst the abundance of otherworldly creatures. Confidence carried her further, indestructible determination on her face when she finally reached the two interns she was oddly hoping to preserve — though she insisted it was mostly for the sake of getting to shed her fair share of blood.