New Beginnings

It was 12:30 am when a correctional officer yelled, "Collins out of your cell inmate, your being released." I knew I was going to be released earlier than my original 20 year sentence but I didn't know this soon! I couldn't be happier, they didn't have to tell me twice.

Of course I had to go through all of the paperwork and release procedures. That didn't end for a good 45 minutes before I was really free. I was released at the front of the jail, by the gate I did my labor work at ,which probably helped me get out so soon. As I walk into the free beautiful air after 7 years of confinement, I never knew something could feel so beautiful. Second to being with Jackie Taylor of course. One of the most intense, intimate, so real, magical moments of life.

I had  my dad come pick me up. The old Chris would've called one of my old homies but I gotta stay away from that life so I'll stick with what's good for me. When my dad pulled up he nearly bursted into tears. And I've never seen him cry besides Omar's funeral. Sad times. But we stood there silent for a while then he just let the tears out and we hugged. And my dads not the emotional type. AT ALL. On the way to the house we talked about a lot of things I missed while in there and some music related things. "You know your sister would've loved if you made it to her wedding" "yeah dad I know but I used my ticket on Omar's funeral. it was too early in my sentence anyway. But I wish I could've been there." We talked about the wedding a little and he showed me some pictures. My sister Brooklyn lives in Miami now and I'm glad she's far away from this horrible place. The rest of the ride it was kinda silent until my dad turned on the radio and this song came on.
It was soulful and deep. I hadn't hurt a voice like that since JACKIE. That's when it hit me it couldn't be anyone but her. I turned it down a little and asked my dad if he knew who it was by. He slow down the car a little and paused before he said it. "Um uh... It's by someone you know" "dad it's fine just tell me"
"It's one of Jackie's hits." So she's really that big now huh. I knew she had it. "Yeah she's pretty big now, not worldwide or anything just kinda local, but everyone knows her here." That's when I stopped talking and turned off the radio. I loved the song but it was just so hard listening to it knowing we probably would never have a chance. I mean even if we ever crossed paths she'd probably just keep it moving. Which breaks my heart but I can't blame her. I shot her brother.