[04]

"I've missed you."

Renee sat beside her oldest daughter, soaking up the sun. Turning her head, she frowned as she noticed the tense expression set on Skylar's face. The younger girl eventually tilted her head to side as to gaze upon her mother, giving her a tight smile. "I've missed you too, Mom. More than anything."

"Apparently not," Renee flicked an eyebrow up. "Charlie tells me that you have a boyfriend."

Skylar groaned, feeling a light blush spreading across her cheeks. "When do you and Charlie even talk anymore?"

"Don't try and change the subject on me young lady," the older woman teased. "Tell me all about him."

Scrunching her face up, Skylar sat up in her chair and turned her body to face the grinning woman. "He's not even my boyfriend. I mean, he hasn't asked me." Seeing the look on her mother's face, she quickly continued. "I don't care about that though! I... I really do love him." Eyes widening at the confession, Skylar looked at her mother expectantly.

The look on Renee's face changed from confused to adoration in record time. "Do you really baby?"

"More than anything."

Renee glanced at her other daughter, who was currently standing by the edge of the beach. "And what about Bella. Charlie also told me that you two are going through a rough patch."

Skylar's jaw set at the mention of her twin. "It's nothing, Mom. I promise. I'll... We'll get through it."

"Is it because of Edward?" Her voice lowered as if Bella could her them.

"No." Sensing the glare that came from beside her, Skylar pursed her lips. "Yes. Maybe... I don't know anymore. I just feel like if it came between Edward or me, she would pick him every time."

"And you would pick her over your boyfriend anytime? Paul?" Renee questioned.

The young adult shot her head up. "I never told you his name. Has Charlie been gossiping about me?" Scoffing at the reaction Renee had – an amused expression – Skylar shook her head laughing. "Never thought of Dad as the gossiping type."

"You're still changing the subject, Sky. Put yourself in Bella's shoes," Renee chided.

"I would never choose between the two. I will never have too," Skylar said with certainty. Gazing at her sister, the older twin let out a long breath. "I just feel hurt. And you know how stubborn I am sometimes."

Renee playfully slapped her arm. "You. Neverrr," She drawled out.

Giving her mother her first genuine smile since she got here, Skylar laughed along beside her. "I guess Charlie's right, though. I'll try my best, you know, to make up with her."

"I think that's a very good idea," Renee nodded.

Skylar was about to speak up when her stomach let out a growl. Placing her hands on her stomach, she stood up. "I think that's the signal to go eat. What's for lunch, momma?"

♦♦♦

I wanted his chapter to be very short because there is a hell of a lot of foreshadowing in this one. I have a ton of ideas for the next book and I want to kind of hint at some of them in this book. The next chapter will be longer, I swear!