p h a n

"Finally, we moved in together!" Phil exclaims into the nearly empty apartment. Cardboard boxes were piled in the soon-to-be dining room. There was a small tv and air mattress that the boys had set up because they couldn't possibly finish unpacking in four hours--night was to rise soon.

"It's about fucking time." Dan says, Phil pouting at the language.

"Dan..." He scolds timidly, tangling the strings attached to his llama hat.

"Well forgive me for expressing my feelings in my voice, Phil, but I'm not a good fucking writer or any other shit so leave me the fuck alone." Dan growls, plopping down on the air mattress. He wished there were a chair around to kick the living shit out of.

"Oh, Dan..." His best friend murmurs into his hands, avoiding the groaning boy to start opening boxes.

He uncovers the lovely knick knacks from his beloved fandoms that belong in the biggest shelf he owned, Phil decided. Anime and Buffy, mostly.

He gently places the items down on the carpeted floor. He admires his collection, then moves on to the next box.

He discovers a lost gift from Dan. His birthday present last year--a stuffed blob fish. Phil takes it in his hands. It was lost but not forgotten.

"Hey, Dan? Do you wanna help me unpa--" Phil hears a soft growling from Dan.

The boy had fallen asleep.

"Oh." Phil says to himself now. He crawls towards his friend, careful not to awaken him.

He succeeds, progressing to admire the sight of a messy-haired Dan, curled up on the mattress.

"Aww, Danny." Phil sighs into his hands, warming them up in his breath.

"You're so angry... I don't understand why you are but at the same time I understand how." Phil says aloud, ignoring the fact that Dan is deep in slumber.

"I hope things get better. I hope you find happiness. I hope I get to see a happy Dan." Phil sniffles, whispering weakly as he inches closer to the boy's ear.

----

Phil rests beside Dan as he watches Criminal Minds, which is passed all day on the channel. Its not until the fifth episode that Phil hears something from Dan.

He hears a snort and turns back to find a half-asleep Dan on his back with his legs apart. Phil swallows anxiously.

"How long was I asleep?" Dan asks, eyes red and half their normal size.

"Like seven hours." Phil answers, still nervous.

"Oh..."

The room is completely silent although the tv murmurs in the background.

"Don't you get sleep at night? Why are you so tired?" Phil asks shakily.

When he doesn't get a reply, Phil thinks.

"You spend too much time on your phone. You need to sleep earlier, Dan. I'm worried." He mutters with his neck hung.

"Don't be. I'm shit; no one should be worrying for me. It's fine." The brown-eyed boy insists, although the brown in his eyes doesn't shine as usual.

"You're not... worthless, Dan, okay?! I don't understand why you're always going on about how no one loves you and how no one cares when I'm right here." Phil says in a serious tone, loud so he can be heard.

But instead of receiving a complaint or argument, he receives tears. Quiet, shameful tears that build him up with guilt.

"You don't know, Phil." Dan whispers, looking below at his hands.

"You don't know how it is to be alone."

Phil softens as Dan continues to shed tears behind him. He plays with the fuzz of a hat on his head, blanking out as he thinks.

He turns to his friend and takes a seat beside him. He removes the hat from his dark head of hair and places it over the brunette.

"Pretty Dan!" He exclaims weakly, awkwardly lying back as Dan continues his crying.

"Phil... I just want to be alone." He says, wiping his nose on his sleeve.

"Okay." Phil mumbles and sits back up.

"Wait. I'm lying... Please don't leave me, Phil. You're my only friend." Dan breathes shakily, sitting up in alarm when his friend takes a step forward.

"Please don't ever leave. Please." He begs, another stream of tears water-falling out of his eyes.

Phil can only hold his breath as Dan weeps his pleadings. He slowly crawls back next to him. As soon as he's sat down, Dan shows a soft smile.

"Thanks..." He murmurs.

"It's no problem." Phil whispers. He can't stop staring at Dan. He's never seen him cry, ever.

Dan tends to hide his hurt behind Phil. This confuses Phil because Dan is so unafraid to tell his emotions or opinions out loud. He probably is too embarrassed to show them.

"Do you... wanna watch a movie or something? I wasn't really watching." Phil says modestly, handing his sad friend the remote control.

"If you want..." He whispers.

Phil decides to brighten up the mood by putting on Big Hero 6--one of the boys' favorite animated films since they'd voiced characters.

"Thank you." Dan murmurs again, feeling warmth as Phil scoots in closer to him.

The warmth is replaced by heat as his cheeks burn when his stomach growls loudly. Phil laughs lightly and takes Dan's phone from the floor, where he'd dropped it.

"Do you want pizza? I'm hungry too." Phil asks with that sweet smile from his pink lips.

"Yes, please." Dan says with a dry throat.

---

They had eaten the entire pie. The film was now ending, credits being rolled as Fall Out Boy played.

Dan was falling asleep again, sighing as he leant back with a full tummy and smile between his pink cheeks. Phil was right beside him, his arm around Dan's shoulder as he hummed the melody.

"Dan? Are we gonna sleep here?" He asks quietly, lowering the volume of the TV.

"I plan to." He responds groggily, closing his eyes.

Phil doesn't know how to respond. He smiles at Dan as he peeks his eyes open.

"Fine. You can sleep with me, Philly." He smiles wide.

"Thanks." Phil smiles and shyly lies back with Dan on the mattress.

"Are you feeling better?" Phil asks, turning on his side to face his sleepy friend.

"I guess... Thank you." He mumbles, slightly embarrassed.

"You don't have to be embarrassed. It's okay, Dan. I got you." Phil smiles, taking Dan's hand in his.

Dan doesn't reply as he is too distracted by the trance of Phil's deep, marbleized eyes. He felt safe with the reassurance offered within their look.

Without speaking or thinking, Dan leans forward.