Daddy Issues

I'd had worse situations with my schizophrenia. One time when I was at the mall, I thought I saw a gunman. He ran up to me and pointed the barrel at my head. I had a mental breakdown right in front of Abercrombie. So at least this time it was at home.

"You sure you're alright?" Louis asked again.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I nodded, wiping away the last of the tears from my face. I sniffled, making a monstrous noise erupt from my nose. "Just Tuesday and Hal again. Nothing big."

Something big would be if Harry showed up and did that to me. And I wouldn't put it passed him. He may have been my dad, but the way he appeared to me was terrible.

"Do you need me to call Marissa?" Louis asked, reaching into his pocket for his phone. All of my uncles had her on speed dial.

"No, Lou, I'm seriously fine." I assured.

He sighed and sat down at the table, pushing my books away. "Alright. Then should we get started?"

Louis taught me when my mom couldn't tutor me. His forte was English, but he managed with everything else just fine. At least I knew who the Queen was. That was all the really mattered to me, anyway.

"Have you actually studied?" the slightly familiar husky voice asked from behind me.

I didn't bother turning my head. I knew Louis would ask questions. For now, I ignored him, even though if I did that to my other parent, she would scold me and probably add extra study time. But I had to remember Harry was a figment of my imagination. But I still thought I should get rid of Louis to at least see what my father had to say.

"Actually, I was finishing up work from the other day," I explained. "Independent studies and such. You can watch TV or something."

"Alright, kiddo," he smiled, standing up and kissing my forehead. He walked into the living room, calling over his shoulder. "Shout if you need me!"

After he disappeared, I spun around to face my dead father who was actually only a year older than me when he appeared to me. Weird if you thought about it.

"Did you?" he repeated.

"You know I did," I replied. "And why are you even here?"

I'd only seen my father a few times. The first time I saw him, I was twelve and I freaked out. I was in my room and I kept hearing scary noises. I started thinking about all the "what ifs" and made myself feel even worse. That's when my dad showed up in the corner of my room and said, "There's nothing to be afraid of, Sydney."

After that, I didn't see him until I was around sixteen. Then he showed up again last week. I was still surprised to see him, but not as freaked out as I was before. Not to mention he hadn't aged. Then he showed up yesterday, and here he was today.

"I can't visit my own daughter?" he asked, a small smile forming.

"You're just in my head." I pointed out, but mostly to myself.

"Am I, Syd?" he questioned, sitting down in the chair next to the one I was sitting at before.

"Don't try to confuse me."

He chuckled, looking down at the table and playing with the rings on his right hand. "You're just like Marissa."

"Except I'm fucked up." I noted.

He shrugged with a slight nod, and I couldn't help but feel a little offended. That was the thing with Harry. Instead of just saying mean things outright, he sort of insulted me subtly. Sometimes I actually preferred Hal and Tuesday's form of torture than my father's.

"Why do you agree with me?" I asked.

"Because you're right," Harry shrugged, flashing his eyes up. "I'm not going to correct you if you're already correct."

"But you're my dad, right? Aren't you supposed to tell me I'm not a freak and I'm normal?"

"I'm just in your head, aren't I?" he smirked, standing up and walking into the hall.

"But you-" I began to say, following him so I could scold him for being a shit father, but he was gone.

I sighed and made my way back to the table, flopping down in the chair Harry was sitting at only a moment ago. I put my chin in my hands and stared at my science book across the table from me. Sometimes I feel like maybe Harry isn't just in my head. It's like his ghost enters my brain and then I see him. I don't know. Now I just sound like I'm crazy. I know I'm wrong, but it's just a thought.

There's two knocks at the door before Niall waltzes in with a smile spread over his face. And walking behind him was his nephew, Theo. He's only a couple years older than me. Theo's honestly my best friend. And my only friend, honestly. My other uncles have to force their kids to hang out with me. Theo does it because he wants to.

"Hey, Sydney," Niall smiled. "How's the school stuff going?"

I shrugged, still not feeling very up to par since the visit with Harry. Niall just figured I was in another mood and told me he'd let me and Theo hang out while he walked into the living room to join Louis. Theo nodded at me and sat in the chair to my right, pushing the book in front of me.

"Five pounds says you haven't done anything." he smirked.

"You'd win that bet." I told him, trying to manage at least a fraction of a smile.

"Look, I know something's wrong," he said, looking at me matter-of-factly. "You can tell me, Syd."

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "You'd think I'm crazy."

"I'd never think you're crazy."

"He's lying," Harry's voice chuckled from behind me. "Everyone thinks you're crazy."

"Shut up!" I snapped.

"Me?" Theo gasped.

"Hah." Harry snorted.

"No," I said. "Harry."

"Styles?" Theo questioned.

"Ugh, yes!"

"Cat's out of the bag now, sweetie." Harry snickered.

Theo froze, staring off somewhere else. "You see your dead dad?"

I nodded numbly.

"Does anyone know?" he asked, finally looking at me.

I shook my head. "I don't want anyone to know. It would upset everyone too much."

"What about your mom?"

"She has Percy."

Theo nodded. "I understand. I won't tell anyone."

Just another secret of mine that I put on Theo. I might be a terrible person.