Chapter Seven

15 Reasons to Live © Copyright Brianna Howell 2013

We headed out of the Y the next morning and ate at a bakery a few blocks down.

I ate what was, undoubtedly, the best chocolate muffin that I had ever eaten. But aside from that we went to Central Park.

This was especially wonderful for me, because most of the time when you get excited about things and expect them to be one way you're disappointed.

But this was different, I felt like I was in a movie.

The three of us walked on the path for a few minutes just talking about life and laughing at Ben's jokes.

It was really nice, not anything over the top, but it made me feel like they were happy to be around me, and that was definitely something to be praised.

We rounded a corner and I heard fast, Spanish-style guitar playing coming from up the path. I looked back at Thad and grinned as I ran towards the sound. The two of them chased after me and I stopped as I came to a wide clearing seeing a dark haired man about Thad's age playing the guitar skillfully, engrossed in the rhythm.

I watched in awe as his fingers danced and turned in ways I'd never seen before, they moved together into a blur of tanned skin.

I watched him, silently impressed until he plucked the last note.

I smiled broadly and clapped for him as he noticed us, standing up for a mock bow.

"That was mind-blowing!" Ben said to him.

"How do you make your fingers move that fast?" I asked in awe.

He chuckled putting his guitar back in its case. "With lots of practice" he said finally, smiling back at me.

"My name is Rodrigo Torres" he said holding out his hand to Thad who hadn't spoken yet.

"Drew Muller" he said shaking the man's hand firmly. I'd forgotten that was his name, and laughed at myself inwardly.

"I'm Ben" Ben said nodding at him. He nodded back and then turned to me. "And who might this belleza be?" I blushed and looked down at my shoes.

I wasn't very confident in speaking Spanish since most of the people I grew up with back in Florida were Latinos, I was embarrassed to speak it afraid that they would laugh at me.

But I was good at understanding it for the most part. He called me a beauty.

"I'm Abigail" I said, my voice sounding quieter than I intended.

"Abigail Smith" I finished, finding my voice again.

He smiled warmly at me showing dimples in the corners of his cheeks. "It's great to meet you guys. Where are y'all from?"

I looked at Thaddeus. "Boston" he said simply. Why is he acting so cold all of the sudden? I wondered.

Rodrigo looked confused for a second, "All of you?"

I shook my head "I'm from Florida."

He grinned. "Me too! Originally anyways, but that's great." He said as he picked up the guitar case in one hand. "Hey, have you been to that little place on 22nd street called Mambo?"

I shook my head. "Nope, this is my first time in New York."

He and grinned. "Ah, that's perfect! The first time is always the best in my opinion." He said grinning.

He wasn't the kind of guy I would usually go for, but he seemed great as far as I could tell.

"I'm going to Mambo right now actually." He said checking his watch. "I could take you there right now if you want to go."