Chapter Twenty-One

~Chase's POV~

"Ohhh, this just feels right. You know? Like it was meant to be. Vault Hunters kill me, I learn humility, you bring me back where I belong, wiser and stronger. It's a...it's a pretty sweet little character arc, isn't it? Yeah, yeah except for the part where I learn humility, that's...that's crap," Jack said.

"Hyperion doesn't need you anymore, Jack! Deal with it! You're old news," Rhys said while trying to break free of the chair's restraints. I was slowly crawling towards him.

"You know, funny you should mention that---cause I'm not gonna be the same old me. I mean, I'll obviously be wearing you like a fleshy tracksuit which'll be new for you, but I've got some pretty sick upgrades planned, too," Jack said and grinned evilly. I finally was able to get to my knees but it still hurts to stand.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hang on, don't go anywhere. I gotta- I'm gonna show you something." Jack started laughing again. The floor around Jack's desk descended slowly. When I looked up, I saw an endoskeleton.

"Let me guess, Nakayama made it for you," I said softly.

"The princess is very smart! You should be more like her, cupcake. They were gonna put it inside my original body and then upload my consciousness into it, so I'd be wearing my old body like a skin suit! It's great, right? Only the original me died before that could happen. Which....is why I need you, big guy." Jack was smirking at Rhys on two smaller monitors.

"Rhys, the chair," I muttered. He looked down at me. I could tell he's mad and scared.

"At least let me help her!" Rhys screamed at Jack.

"Yeah-no. So, if you could just stay still, this is gonna get grafted into your body, and then I'll get uploaded into it." Jack denied Rhys' request. Different tools came out and approached Rhys. A saw was heading right towards Rhys' chest.

"Scoot the chair back! It has wheels!" I yell and stand up. Rhys pushed back as far as he could while the saw kept getting closer and closer.

"I...for- I forgot the frigging chair had wheels. You know what, that's...that's my bad, that's on me," Jack said. While Jack was distracted with Rhys, I accessed my code and changed into my cybernetics.

 While Jack was distracted with Rhys, I accessed my code and changed into my cybernetics

I got up and tore off the saw.

"So, the human babe changed into a super hot Cyborg babe. Man, this day just keeps getting better and better!" Jack laughs.

"Hey----nonono--NO NO! Drop it, DROP IT!" I heard Rhys say. I turned around and saw a robotic hand taking the Gortys piece. I grabbed it and ripped the hand right out. I went over to Rhys and tore the restraints right off.

"Take the piece, Rhys." I tossed the piece over to Rhys.

"Even your voice changed," Rhys said and caught the piece.