Chapter 8: Loveliest Goodbye

"You can't leave tomorrow without saying goodbye to me first, okay?" Lauren instructed her with a stern finger as she'd yet to dress herself again. Thankfully, Tori hadn't returned. However, if it was happenchance, they did their post-coital cuddling beneath the sheets for some level of privacy.

"Geez, and I thought I was getting clingy," Camila said mockingly as she propped herself up on her elbows.

"Shut up," Lauren waved her off and laid her cheek against the pillow. "I'm just saying. I like goodbyes."

"That has to be the first time I've heard that in my life."

"What?"

"Who the hell likes goodbyes?"

"I do. I like seeing people off. I like hugging. I like telling them goodbye just so I can tell them hello again for the next time," she explained softly. "Goodbyes don't always have to be as sad as people make them out to be."

"You view the world so differently than everyone I know."

"Well, I like to be an individual."

"You're beautiful, Lauren. I just like the way your mind works. It's very interesting."

"Tanks, dat makes me happy," Lauren responded adorably, using a smaller, higher pitched baby voice as she squirmed from the compliment. That smile only got bigger, and she hid her face slightly when she started to blush. Camila had to have been the only girl she'd ever encountered that had that ability. Badass Lauren did not blush.

"You're welcome, baby," Camila made use of the name that always made her swoon and tried it on Lauren. Much to her delight, she roused the same reaction.

"I'm just the happiest," Lauren announced with a smile that served as proof.

"Cloud nine," Camila nodded, adorning the same infectious smile that Lauren had.

"Cloud ninety... Cloud..." Lauren trailed off to exaggerate even more. "Nine hundred."

"Exactly, Nugget," Camila found her hand underneath the covers and kissed her cheek.

"That nickname is growing on me. Slowly," Lauren voiced her approval.

"Good," Camila grinned. She looked up at Lauren and witnessed the light in her eyes. Never before had she understood the concept of one smiling with their eyes. Watching Lauren do it in person was thrilling for her. If there was any doubt that she felt the same way, it vanished. They were atop of their tree and there was no sign of them coming down.

However, an unfortunate thought crept into her mind. There wasn't much argument about Lauren's mutual crush on her, but there also wasn't one about Tori's unrequited one. Camila knew that she was incapable of returning her feelings, uncertain of how deeply they ran. Tori was the biggest sweetheart she knew and she didn't want to hurt her any more than she unintentionally had been, but she didn't want the matter plaguing her conscience, either. Camila fell silent and Lauren was looking up at the ceiling contentedly in their serene quiet.

"Can I ask you something?" Camila blurted out and drew Lauren's attention. "I don't wanna ruin the moment, but it's still on my mind..."

"Go for it, love," Lauren granted, already invested in the conversation.

"What am I supposed to do about Tori?"

"Do you like her? Even a little bit?"

"No... It's weird..." Camila frowned. "Part of me wants to, just so I don't hurt her feelings... But I can't. And I don't. I was thinking of everything I admire about her just to see if I could, but she's literally my sister."