You Belong To Me - Chapter 8

It’s a week after Wade had left, I decided to do go into work on this cold Saturday morning. Dressed in charcoal tracksuit pants and hoody and my brand new converse, I stood waiting infront of the elevator. Mr. Saunders, at the front desk had eyed me suspiciously as I greeted him when I walked past. The reason? He was playing games on his PC. I mean come on what else was he supposed to keep himself busy with besides watching the door and signing in visitors? I looked back at him and found him still looking at me. He was the first to look away, just as the elevator car arrived. Stepping in, I pressed the button for my floor. As the doors closed, and the elevator started its ascent, I sighed heavily, wishing I had rather stayed home. The ding signaled the arrival on my floor and I stepped out walking quickly to the huge glass doors at the end of the passage. I am such a wuss, imagining someone is hiding out here ready to attack me as I come pass. The thought of going back home crossed my mind for the bizillionth time.  I could easily have worked from the comfort of my own bed. Why do I do this to myself??

Well first things first. Coffee!

After making myself a steaming cup of coffee, I walked over to the huge window of my office and looked out at the bustling scenery below, my thoughts going back to the conversation I had with Wade…

I knew that Wade could possibly know who Josh was, they basically moved in the same business circles. So this is how that conversation went…

‘What the fuck, Amy?’

I felt like he had thrown me with a bucket of ice cold water. This was not the reaction I expected. I thought it would go something like this:  ‘Joshua Sterling? Yeah, I know him, great guy. He really knows his stuff, can’t pull a fast one on him. Very shrewd.’

Instead…

‘What the fuck, Amy? How well did you think you knew this guy? He will eat you for breakfast and spit you out! You don’t mess with a guy like that…and besides you’re not his type, neither is he yours! How the hell did you get involved with him anyway? And let me guess, he broke your heart didn’t he?’ he snarled at me.

I could just stare at him, I mean, what the hell was his problem? The time that Josh and I were together was the best time of my life. I could have been blinded by love at the time, yes, but even thinking back now, I can’t say anything negative about our relationship…well before we broke up that is. Josh is a typical Leo (star sign) – ‘I am right and you are wrong, don’t try to convince me otherwise, you’ll come off second, that’s a promise.’

I swear if Wade was a cartoon character the steam coming from his ears would be visible right now. He was so mad, I regret bringing Josh into our conversation. But I couldn’t avoid his questions now, I will still be hearing about this for years to come. So I started from the beginning, not leaving anything out and by the time I was done, Wade’s face was red with fury, his fists clenching and unclenching, boy was he mad. Guess it was my turn to find out what caused him to react this way about Josh…

Wade sat staring at me, trying to get his anger under control. ‘Amy, promise me you won’t get involved with him again,’ he pleaded.

I felt my face heat up at his words. ‘Wade, we are doing business with the guy, I think it’s too late to not get involved with him,’ I replied, pretending I didn’t know what he is referring to.

‘You know what I mean, Amy,’ he ran his hand through his hair, frustratingly. ‘Have you seen any of the women he has dated? They’re arm trophies, Amy. You are not like them,’ he says softly, grabbing hold of my hand, caressing it gently.