Five

I open the passenger door of my car for the gorgeous woman I'm taking out on "not" a date.  Once she's settled in, I get in the driver's side and start the car.  I take another look at Courtney.  She's wearing a lavender blouse, light grey slacks, and high heels.  Her light brown hair is pinned up with chopstick type things.  It's a good look on her.  Hell, anything is a good look on that woman. 

     "Are those chopsticks in your hair?" I ask.  I just have to know what those things are!

     "Chopsticks are Asian eating utensils.  The things in my hair are simply just hair sticks..." Court says matter-of-factly.  She puts a hand to her hair self consciously. 

     "Well it's a good look on you," I say.  Courtney smiles and a little blush spreads across her face.

"Thanks. Grease is a pretty good look on you, Ogre," retorts Courtney. I guess I deserve that considering I'm taking her out to dinner in my work polo and there's car grease all over me. But, hey, it was a compliment.

"Thanks, Princess, I try." We laugh and I remember how beautiful our laughs sound together, like a unique song that you've waited your whole life to hear. Ugh, Court always makes me think these weird romantic things that normally I would never think. No one else can bring that out in me...

After a few minutes of driving, we arrive at Panera Bread. I jump out at what seems to be light speed in order to open the door for her. I do the same thing as we enter the restaurant. The soft lights shine brighter than usual and I can smell all the baked goods that are on display.

"Hi, welcome to Panera Bread! What can I get for you?" asks the girl at the register in a pleasant tone. I glance at her name tag and see that it says Alyssa in pink swirly letters.

"I'll take a Pick 2 with a tomato and mozzarella panini and a grilled chicken caesar salad," speaks up Courtney.

"Chips or a baguette?" asks Alyssa brightly.

"The baguette, please."

"And to drink?" Alyssa looks down at the register computer as she types in everything that Court's ordering.

"How about a mango smoothie." Courtney has always loved anything mango.

"Great, and for you, sir?"

"I'll also have the Pick 2 with a tomato and mozzarella panini, but with chicken noodle soup. I'd like the chips, please." I add.

"Okay, and your drink?"

"I'll go with a strawberry smoothie."

"Okay. Now, would you like to add any baked goods for $0.99?" Alyssa adds. I forgot how long the ordering process was...

"Want one?" I ask, looking at Courtney. She scans the display case.

"I wouldn't mind a cinnamon roll, but I can't possibly eat the whole thing." she answers, eyeing the cinnamon rolls.

"We'll split it." I say. I turn back to Alyssa. "Yeah, we'll add one of your cinnamon rolls."

Alyssa goes over and picks a cinnamon roll and sets it on a plate. Handing it to Courtney, she asks, "For here or to go?"

"For here," I say, growing impatient.

"Your total is $31.53."

I fish my wallet out of my pocket and hand her two twenty dollar bills. She gives me $8.47 change with the receipt and hands me a buzzer along with it. Courtney and I pick out a two-seater booth and I head back towards the counter to wait for the food. Only a few minutes later, the buzzer goes off and I hand it to the guy behind the counter and carry the two plates and smoothies back to the booth where my Princess is waiting.

"It's about time!" jokes Courtney as I sit down with the food. She grabs her smoothie and plate from me and we begin eating like savages. We hadn't eaten all day!

"So, how was work?" I ask her after taking a few bites of my panini.

"Work was work," she sighs. "Today was mainly just filling out paperwork. You?"

"Yeah, I fixed up a few cars as you can tell by all the grease.." I reply with a laugh that she returns.

After finishing off our sandwiches and such, I cut the cinnamon roll down the middle.

"Which half do you want?" I ask her. Courtney picks one and bites into it. The icing and sugar get all over her lips, and it makes me hungry for her. She licks her lips and it almost sends me over the edge. I take a bite of my own piece to try and regain my composure. Damn, these sure are good. I haven't had a cinnamon roll in such a long time. I catch her gazing at me, a hungry look in her eyes. No, that can't be possible. Surely I'm wrong. There's no way she'd look at me like that! We're literally just like staring at each other, which of course I don't mind.  More time for me to admire her.

"You have a little something..." she says as she wipes the edge of my mouth with her finger. Courtney brings her finger to her own mouth and licks off the icing from mine.  "There."  She smiles at me, and I can't help but smile back. 

     "Thanks, Princess." I muse with my usual smirk.  She blushes.  Not a date, huh?  That move was pretty flirty for Courtney standards.  "Ready to head back?"

     "Yeah, I suppose..." she heavily sighs.

     As always, I opened every door for her.  We take the elevator up to the fourth floor and before we head to our apartments, she turns towards me.

     "Thanks for taking me to dinner, Duncan.  You didn't need to," Courtney says blissfully. 

     "Not a problem.  Anything that allows me to see you more often is always a pleasure," I reply.  She blushes and looks up at me. 

     "Yeah right," she answers with a nervous laugh. 

     "It's true.  Maybe we could do it again, ya know, when I'm not covered in car grease." I joke which turns her nervous laugh into an actual one.  I swear she almost snorted.  Adorable.

     "Maybe...  Well, goodnight, Duncan."  She places her hand on my shoulder and gives me a kiss on the cheek.  I feel my face heat up and move my hand to where I felt her soft, warm, full lips.

     "Goodnight, Court." I answer.  There's a genuine smile on her face and she turns towards her apartment door.  There's a click of the lock and she heads inside.  Before shutting the door, Courtney turns around and smiles at me one last time.  The door closes and I'm just standing in the hallway, lovestruck.  I unlock the door to my own apartment and head inside.  After closing the door behind me, I just lean against the door and let out a delighted sigh.  Next chance I get, I'm asking her out.  Out on an actual date.  One where I'm not covered head to toe with car grease.  I'm lucky she didn't turn my offer down because of that.  Man do I love that woman.  Mitch is going to have quite the time teasing me about this one, I know it.  I go to the bathroom to shower before going to bed where I lie, thinking about her.  Thinking about my Princess.  Thinking about the girl of my dreams.  Thinking about everything my heart desires.  Thinking of no one else, but Courtney...