Six

"You have a serious problem. You hear me right? You have a problem with this chick!" Mitch is saying, but I'm not paying attention to him. I can't stop thinking about last night. Last night was so amazing and I want another night just like it, but with more than simply a kiss on the cheek.

"Saying problem makes it sound like a bad thing," I answer. Maybe I do have a problem, but it's not a bad problem. It's an amazing problem I want to have forever.

"Trust me, man, it's not a bad thing. I'm glad you've found a girl. Just promise me one thing."

"Okay, what?" What could he possibly want me to promise him?

"Don't fall off the deep end unless there's something that guarantees all your lovesickness isn't for nothing," he answers. Woah, I didn't realize he cared that much. Mitch may be a jokester and all, but damn is he a good friend.

"I promise." I smirk and start laughing. "Don't go all soft on me, Mitch!"

"If anyone's going all soft, it's you, man!" Mitch says, punching me in the shoulder.

"I am so not going soft! Did you forget who you're talking to?" I retort.

"I don't know about that anymore, Duncan," responds Mitch with a wink.

"Whatever... Let's just get back to work..." Mitch and I leave the break room and start back up repairing cars. Wow, today must be a bad day for automobiles... There's ten cars that need touchups on scratches and dents. One of them is a yellow, vintage corvette. I let out a low whistle. Quite the sharp looking car.

"I call the corvette!" Mitch and I shout at the same time. We look at each other and smirk.

"Rock paper scissors?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"You're on!" Mitch exclaims. We face each other and ready ourselves.

"One...two...three!" We both did paper.

"One...two...three!" This time we both did rock.

"Damnit!" I yell. "Again?!"

"One...two...three!" Mitch wins with rock to my scissors.

"See? You've got your head in the clouds," accuses Mitch.  He makes his way over to the corvette and starts to work on it. 

     "Oh yeah?  I think you're just jealous!" I call to him.  We're on opposite sides of the repair garage.

     "Fat chance!" he calls back.  I chuckle as I start up my touchup work on a silver Malibu.  

     Once work's over, I head back home.  It was a really busy day today, so I'm exhausted.  I fixed up seven cars.  I get to the fourth floor and unlock the door to my apartment.  I go straight to the shower.  I let out a sigh as the water lightly pelts my bare skin.  Steam fills the bathroom as I get out.  I take my hand and wipe some of the condensation of the bathroom mirror.  I see my longer black hair hanging down with water dripping off the ends.  I stroke the shadow of a beard I have and decide it's high time I shave.  I get my shaving cream and my razor.  Covering my face with shaving cream, I carefully shave off the shadow while occasionally rinsing off the razor.  When the shadow is gone, I only get half dressed before starting dinner.  I practically microwave the whole meal.  Macaroni and cheese, three hot dogs, and peas.  Don't judge me just because I like peas.  They're green and simple!  I grab some hot dog buns, mustard, ketchup, and relish.  Squirting the mustard all over one of the hot dogs, I faintly smell smoke.  I set the mustard down and follow the scent of smoke  over to my apartment door.  I open the door and walk out into the hallway.  The smoke is coming from Courtney's apartment!  I try the doorknob and it's locked.  I panic and grab my swiss army knife to pick the lock.  The lock clicks and a sigh of relief escapes from me.  I barge into the apartment.