The Hearing Part I (15).

I slammed the door when Melvin stepped out of my house. I didn’t want to see him.

I was annoyed, infuriated, bothered, and upset.

He made me feel all those damn things. Couldn’t he just understand? I didn’t mean to hurt him or anything. It just happened.

Ring. Ring.

“Hello?” I said.

“Yes, Hannah? It’s Brother Jackson. We have decided that we’ll have the Hearing on Monday at two in the afternoon. I’ve already called Melvin’s family. They are coming as well. I would tell you to bring your family but they aren’t JW’s so no. They aren’t allowed to be there.”

Monday? Two days?

“Yes, I understand.” I whispered.

“Good, I am glad. See you in two days, Sister.” He hung up.

Two days.

***

MONDAY 1:30 P.M.

I was standing in front of the doors, which were light brown.

I was dressed in a plain black dress. I felt like I was walking into my own funeral. Maybe I was.

“Hannah, you ready?” Melvin asked me, taking my hand.

I looked at him and smiled a weak smile. He could tell.

“It’s okay, we’ll make it together.” I hope he was right. “I’m glad that you aren’t mad at me anymore, I was beating myself up over the weekend wait for you to do something.”

I thought about it over the weekend and I really couldn’t lose him. He is going to be the father of my child. More like our child. I send him a text telling him that I’m sorry for hurting him and I hope he wasn’t made at me for slamming the door on his face.

He said it was alright and that we should forget the stupid fight in the first place and that he still loved me after everything.

I guess that’s true love.

I laughed. “I know. You told me.”

I heard the front doors open and in step in Melvin’s family. At the sight of them I pulled myself away from Melvin.

“Don’t worry about them.” Melvin said, looking hurt from the action.

I was dumbfounded. “What do you mean?” I hissed. “We aren’t supposed to show affection, dude. That’s like wrong.”

Melvin just rolled his eye. Rolled them. “At this point they don’t care. I think mom is kinda looking forward to argue if she doesn’t hear what she likes.”

Que?

“Hannah!” A voice said, hugging me tightly.

“Can’t breath!” I hissed.

“Oops, sorry.” It was Andrew.

“Andrew! You seem so, uh, happy?” I said. Last time I saw him he looked like Hell. No joke.

“Yes, I am happy.” He beamed.

I took that as a hint. He didn’t want to talk about it here with everyone.

“Ah, I see. Well I’m happy to see you happy.” I smiled.

“Thank you.” And he left to talk to his mother who was across the room.

“What happened to him?” I asked Melvin in a hushed tone.

“His girlfriend happened to him.” He explained.

“Ah. He got laid?” I asked, surprised.

Melvin’s eyes widen. “What? No! I don’t know full details, and, don’t give me that look. I know you love your details but I don’t know them and yes. I will found out, jeez woman.”

I bust out laughing. “Woman?”

Melvin’s mom gave me a curious look.

“Yes, and now stop laughing. It’s almost two.”

That stop my laughing.

“Sorry.” He said.

I sighed. “I know I shouldn’t be laughing right now. I’m just so damn nervous.”

“I know the feeling. I honestly don’t want to go in there.”

“Me too. What do you think will happen?” I asked him. Terrified of the answer.

“Nothing good.” Ugh, bad answer.

“Ugh, I knew you were gonna say that.”

He cracked a smile. “You know me.”

Of course I do.

I smirked. “Duh.”

He grinned and pulled me into a hug. “I love you, Hannah.”

Those words made a lump in my throat. “I love you too, Melvin.”

I heard a noise and then the doors opened. A voice cleared their throat. “Excuse me, we are ready.”

It was Brother Donis.

Let the Hearing begin.