Chapter 15

"Stay with me tonight," he whispered, interrupting the silence that fell onto the room.

They were still on the sofa, his body relaxed against the oversized pillow, the warmth of Temperance against his chest. Long minutes had passed before he had made the suggestion.

Holding her to him, his mind reflecting again on the incidents from today, he felt compelled to have her here.

Her chin lifted, resting it on his chest, her eyes meeting his. "Why?" she asked, feeling that wave of new love stir around in the hearth of her.

He swallowed, his thumb moving on her jaw line. "Because it is where you belong," he answered.

He waited for her to respond, watching thought register in her eyes, but before she could reply he added. "Truth is, I would sleep better knowing you're next to me."

She sighed out, her hands propping up her chin as she considered. "No hanky panky?"

He smiled. "None," he replied. "Still want to stay?"

"Yes."

His expression softened, and he lifted the length of her onto him. "Good."

His hands cradled her face, gradually bringing her closer to his own. His  black eyes seized hers, holding her there for moments that were cupped with nothing short a romantic passage in a book. He loved this girl — this woman before him that he would soon claim as his own.

They kissed for long moments,desperate to reach that summit they both knew wouldn't happen quite yet. It was like a melody of the ocean meeting the shoreline, soft, yet persistent and unwavering. Roman branded her with his mouth and tongue, leaving an imprint that would never part from her.

When it ended, he brought her to his chest, holding her there while they both escaped in thought and reflection.

"You should call Violet," he finally said. "Her and Lilly will send out a search party if you don't."

Pushing up with her arms and kissing him quickly, she bounded off the sofa. "You're right."

Grabbing her cellphone, she selected Violet from her contacts. After explaining where she would be and reassuring Violet that she would explain all tomorrow, they hung up.

Roman was sitting upright now, his hands clasped in front of him as he surveyed the words on the board game.

Temperance was standing by the window, gazing at the Mississippi. "You've got a nice view, Roman."

"Hmmm," he responded, engrossed in the letters, not looking up.

She crossed her arms and walked over, taking a seat next to him.

"I'm glad that it happened with you," she said softly.

He looked at her. "Pardon?"

Turning her attention to the words as well, she responded. "That my gift returned when I was with you," she smiled, leaning in to him with her shoulder.

His jaw moved. She could see the small tick at the sharp edge of it. She was becoming accustomed to it, knowing this action was an indication he was either in a temper or in deep thought.

He touched her chin with his thumb, lifting it so that her eyes were level with his. "I believe everything that has happened was meant to be. Some pre ordained power that has delivered its hand to you and I."

She pondered that for a brief second. "Like the tarot cards."

His eyes changed instantly. His mind reverting back to Hazel's shop when Temperance was reading her own cards.