Chapter 36

At the same time, Temperance was at the grocery store in town. She was in the bread aisle grabbing some bagels, when she was caught off guard. Sky was standing at the end of the aisle, her eyes blazing with what looked nothing other than dislike. Temperance lifted her chin and turned the other way. She didn't need any more drama than she already had.

But that was to be short lived. Sky hurriedly came after her, her hand reaching out to stop the cart.

Temperance gritted her teeth in contempt. "What do you want?" she hissed.

Looking closer, Temperance noticed that Sky appeared disheveled and unkempt, unlike what she recalled the times she had seen her. A blue baseball cap covered her hair, placed low over her brow. She had zero makeup on and she was chewing her lip, her hand gripping the cart so tightly that Temperance could see the white of her knuckles.

"I need to speak with you and Roman," she whispered desperately, looking around at the people pushing their carts by them, her head turning from left to right, erratically. Suddenly, she began to hum nervously.

Temperance angled her head in curiosity. "Why?"

Sky swallowed nervously. "Please," she whispered. "I'll stay after my shift tonight. Tell him to come to Angels," she uttered before scampering off.

For long moments Temperance stood there, processing what Sky had said. Tucking her tongue in her cheek, she pushed her cart to the check out, deciding that choices were inevitable, and she needed to make some today.

When she arrived home, emotions stirred in her head. She was miffed after seeing Sky. It wasn't new news that Sky didn't like her. Hell, it was pretty hard not to be able to decipher that small fact, Temperance thought. Reflecting on the time when she had initially met Sky, it was crystal clear that something was amiss with her. Something that Temperance couldn't quite put her finger on until now. And with that thought in mind, she shut her car off and got the groceries out of the backseat.

Choices, her mind repeated, before stepping through the front door. There were some going to be had today. She heard Roman's voice coming from the kitchen. She could tell he was on the phone. Sitting the groceries on the counter, he nodded to her, coming over and kissing her temple, then walking away to finish his conversation.

Minutes later, she was putting some things away in the fridge when he came behind her and kissed the nape of her neck.

"Did you get anything sweet?"

She felt the pulse of something stirring again, but she reigned in on the feeling and turned.

"I saw Sky today," Temperance announced artfully.

Roman stepped back, concern drawn on his face. "And what did she have to say?"

"It's not what she said exactly, it's what she didn't say."

Roman rubbed the back of his neck. "Want to elaborate?"

She did, not leaving out a single detail of Sky's behavior. "She wants us to meet at Angels tonight."

"You aren't coming," Roman announced, pacing in front of her.

"The hell I am not!" she countered.

"I don't trust her."

Temperance tucked her hair behind her ear, observing Roman's demeanor.

"Tell me something," she started.

Roman stopped, dropped his hand from his neck. "What?"

She knew deep down she didn't want to know, but all is fair in love and war, she thought. "Did you sleep with her?"