2. Reunited

if you are new to Mai and Ethan's story, please read the prequel, special tutoring (rated mature)

https://www.wattpad.com/story/7787423-special-tutoring

*******

Mai Tan Zilin.

On the cusp of turning 18 years old at last... If anyone is wondering why I am only starting Senior Year next Fall, it's because of my horribilis competitive parents, as usual. They had this bizarre idea that because I was born in late Summer, I would be impeded by being later in development growth and lose out academically to kids my own age, so they delayed my schooling by one year. #rolleyes

As a result of this misguided decision, I am already losing out socially to kids my own age. I should be rushing this Fall, planning how to maneuver my way into as many sororities as possible instead *grumbles*.

But today, I don't feel like a socially or academically challenged loser. Dressed in a red bodycon dress (guaranteed to electrify Ethan when he meets me at the airport, as promised by the Charlotte Russe ad), I feel incredibly grown-up, quaffing cheap champagne from a plastic cup, while staring out the ellipsoidal plane window. Not even the person in front leaning his economy seat back into my personal space can dampen my spirit.

My parents were so tight, they refused to spring for or trade in their flyer miles for business class tickets to sweeten their daughters' virgin unchaperoned travel experience. Then again if not for the media furor, I would still be at the nondescript business hotel, 面壁思过 *inserting air quotes here* .

Sigh. The bruises have faded but the trauma is still raw. Rhodes is languishing in jail without bail, and the rest of us are dispersed, either for the summer or forever (in Amy's case). Emily sounded her usual collected self when we were face timing each other two days ago. Perhaps it was because we avoided the whole reason why we were not enjoying our summer together in Cheer camp, and talked only about how Mrs Carter's dreams of fourth consecutive win as State Champion was likely going to be kaputt (see? something did sink in from studying German while being grounded at the hotel while our house was undergoing massive renovations after what happened during prom night) now that the varsity squad was further incapacitated by the loss of three juniors on top of the seniors who were leaving anyway (our junior varsity bombed at State last year). Not in a single word was uttered about Trevor, even though I was curious to know what was their situation now.

I refuse to think any more about what happened on Prom Night. Or that even if my parents miraculously relent and let me return to Cheer, the squad may not even have a place for me after the summer tryouts.
I am going to look forward to spending an awesome German summer holiday with Ethan.

At least that is what I chant to myself whenever I wake up screaming at night.

"This is the life," I declare to my sister. She is flipping my "Learn German in 21 days" book.

"Really?" she replies with a droll smile. "Are you saying that because you are meeting your beloved Ethan again?"

"That too. This is our first time traveling without Mom nagging at you to practice your chess with Dad or me to study when we are on holiday. Do you realize that it has been nearly four years that we traveled together?"

My sister's smile cracks a little. Guilt floods my consciousness when her hand moves to touch the little wooden rings around her neck. Why do I have to be such a moron and point out the pink elephant in the plane? After that devastating Harvard encounter, which culminated in the loss of her secret baby three summers ago, Qin always came up with some lame excuse why she had to stay in town and avoided all family trips since.