Chapter 33

*Vraaaah*

   Adam ignored the all-too-familiar sound. It was the first time in a long time that he had actually had a decent sleep. 

*Vraaaah*

   He flipped his body over to his left side and buried his face in amongst the pillows.  After a moment: complete silence. Adam smiled in his sleep, happy to have peace and quiet.  

   "Talk to me! You can talk to me...!"  

   Adam's ringtone went off; It was Talk To Me by Stevie Nicks, one of his favourite musicians. Eyes still shut, he reached his tattooed arm out from underneath his warm bed sheets and snagged his singing and vibrating iPhone.

   "Adam," he groggily addressed himself to the caller.

   "Hi, it's Carol." At the mention of the name, Adam immediately became more alert and scrambled to sit up, hoping it would help him pay better attention to what Amy's mother had to say. He had given her his number only in the case that if she had found out anything immediate about Amy, she would let him know. 

   "She's awake," she said, her voice flat but at the same time shaky, as though she might have been trying to fight back tears or the shear relief of the situation.

   "Oh my God," Adam whispered. Within an instant, he had thrown the covers back and stood bolt upright out of bed. "I'll be right there." He ended the call and hastily pulled on a pair of jeans and threw on a grey hoodie. He quickly shoved his feet into the nearest pair of shoes, retrieved his phone from the bedside table, left the bedroom and trotted down the stairs. He fed his dogs quickly but  absentmindedly and then left the front door with a numb and completely raw feeling inside his chest. 

   She was awake. She was awake. She was awake. It was all he could think as he drove out towards the hospital. There was a 60% chance of waking up and she did. She beat that 40%. She made it. She was alive.

   Adam burst through the hospital doors and made his way down the hall to where he knew Amy's room was. His heart beat faster with every step that he took. Oh, how thankful he was. Oh, how sorry he was. Oh, how much he missed her and oh, how much he loved her!

   He was growing nearer now, just three more doors and he'd be home. Two more doors and he'd be able to hug her. One more door and he could kiss her.

   One more step -

   There she was. But something was wrong; She was sobbing. Her mother was rubbing her shoulder to comfort her while and she was sobbing into her hands. Her tubes were getting tangled in the mess. 

   "Amy," Adam breathed.

   Her sobbing ceased and slowly, one at a time, she removed her hands from her bruised and tear-stricken face. A strand of blonde hair stuck to her cheek. Her green eyes crawled toward where Adam was standing, panting at the doorway. 

   "Amy," Adam said again, a smile awoke on his face after seeing Amy acknowledge him for the first time in weeks. 

   "Leave." Her voice croaked, just above a whisper.

   Adam's smile faded. "Wha-?" 

   "Leave!" She cried, and threw a Get Well Soon stuffy at him. Adam dodged it, all the while gaping at her. He glanced at her mother. She was glaring at him in silence. He gave one more pleading look toward Amy, but found no forgiveness in her eyes. 

   And that was the moment he knew. 

   Without another glance, he was out of the room and seething with pain, anger and sadness. He really screwed things up this time. He thought that maybe it would all be better once she woke up. He thought that maybe the trauma of it all would make her forget how much he hurt her and that it didn't matter because she realized just how lucky she was to be alive and how much she really loved him. He had hoped, but he hadn't expected. 

   He knew that she wouldn't forgive him. All along he knew.

   Adam found himself in one of the hospital's coffee shops. He had ordered a cup, tall and black, and was now drinking it at one of the tables by a window. He had spilt a drop, but instead of wiping it up with a napkin, he swirled his index finger in it absentmindedly and thought of the jarring, yet numbing sensation he was feeling at the moment. 

   Carol found him soon enough, and had sat down at his table in the seat in front of him with her own cup of black coffee. They were both quiet for quite some time. Adam didn't want to speak, but Carol wasn't sure how to. After her cup was almost empty, she finally found the words.

   "Amy told me what happened that night." Adam was silent. They both were for a moment more. Then, "She's moving back home with me to Kansas."

   Adam's hollow eyes glanced upward to meet Carol's. 

   "It'll be better for her that way," she continued. "She can always do school later in life, once she's ready."

   Adam still didn't speak. 

   Carol finished her last drop of coffee and went to stand up. Before she left, she said, "I would like to file a restraining order upon you against my daughter. I do not wish for you to see her again."